GM Limited Lifetime Parts Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pushrodisbetter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had to submit a warranty claim for Genuine GM parts purchased for repair or replacement (not a claim for the bumper to bumper, powertrain, or extended warranty for the actual truck).

The GM warranty for parts does not cover things like failure due to normal wear and tear, but it looks like a GM tech needs to assess that and make a decision as to whether the part failed prematurely or whether it has reached its life expectancy.

Any experience with this?

Last edited:

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe most warranties for GM parts is one year. You can do a Google search online and it should tell you what’s covered and for how long.

OP
OP
P

Pushrodisbetter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe most warranties for GM parts is one year. You can do a Google search online and it should tell you what’s covered and for how long.
For some suspension parts, it’s lifetime. This is for the Magneride strut, which is pretty expensive.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might depend on who installed it? Some warranties specify an approved shop must install, for this maybe a GM service shop would be required to install to be fully warranted.

OP
OP
P

Pushrodisbetter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Might depend on who installed it? Some warranties specify an approved shop must install, for this maybe a GM service shop would be required to install to be fully warranted.
Yep, great point! I actually called GM yesterday and they verified this. They said a licensed private shop can install, but the part(s) would need to be checked at a dealer and I’d need to provide receipts for the part(s) and labor. They didn’t give me a specific mileage or anything, just that a tech would look at part, in this case the Magneride strut, and decide whether it failed due to normal wear, defect, improper use, improper install, etc… It sounds reasonable, but also like the consumer could be at the mercy of the dealer or tech. It’s not like some of the parts shops where lifetime brakes are lifetime brakes, no questions asked. I pretty much figured that would be the case, but I was also curious if anyone had any experience. I hope they will replace these if they fail at low mileage (30k-40k) like they have for some people. They’re not cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanamade81