Got a '96 Tahoe and am Looking for Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
well my first things to do is clean up the lighting and paint and give it overall inspection of components and fluid levels and conditions. make a list of what you see and mention it here if there is a lot we can help you thru it. one other thing readily noticeable is that we well have to whip your suspension into shape. you are definitely going to need new leaf springs.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well my first things to do is clean up the lighting and paint and give it overall inspection of components and fluid levels and conditions. make a list of what you see and mention it here if there is a lot we can help you thru it. one other thing readily noticeable is that we well have to whip your suspension into shape. you are definitely going to need new leaf springs.

Along the lines of what sun said , After all safety is the number one priority,

Its a great looking truck , and If you need any Advice on my build let me know ill be more than happy to share,

Once everything is checked out let us know what you find, If you don't have any real issues Get back to us and we will be more than happy to help you spend your money :D

thanks to this forum Ive dumped a lot into mine, and plans to dump even more

OP
OP
G

gangrel1230

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 4 Rancho shocks that I need to put in so that should take care of some of the issues. Not to sure what to do with the paint as some spots are faded more than others. Everything in it is good. The brakes are good, we have had the fluids changed, and the wheels aligned.
So my list:
-Faded paint spots
-Spots of rusting on the lower body plus some surface rust on the undercarriage
-Broken antennae on the roof
-Rusting on rear bumper
-Broken aftermarket console
-Rear wiper switch and button is starting to break
-Driver's side handle is cracked but works
-Driver's side seat is ripped on the side
-Interior carpet is dirty (probably just needs some carpet cleaner)
-Fogged up lights (did a little bit of cleaning on them back in January so they aren't as bad as before)

There are probably more things, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Just wondering what are leaf springs? This is my first car so I don't know much about them, yet. Hoping to learn a lot about my truck and other vehicles in general from the site and working on my 'Hoe.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
antenna on a roof is something aftermarket unless you plan on using it somehow remove it and fix the hole. you can use polishing compound stuff to kinda brighten things up a bit. but adrees the rust for sure. you can use http://www.por15.com/ on the frame but dody is different so if you dont know how buy a book on diy auto paint and learn. replace your wiper switch and get your leaf springs replaced. start with that. oh and good interior cleaning.

leaf springs are the curvy thing in this guys hands. they support the vehicles rear weight.
0907tr_20_z%2B1998_chevy_tahoe_buildup%2Bleaf_spring_hanger.jpg

EvAZRt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I changed my grill to an all chrome grill for pretty cheap and changed the lens of the running lights and head lights. Dropped in hid headlights and painted the bow tie on the grill. Since its your first car I am assuming you have no problem getting into you truck and you should ditch the running boards.

OP
OP
G

gangrel1230

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not going to drop the running boards unless I change them out since I'm not the only one that will be getting in and out. Plus they make a perfect spot to kick off the salt and slush in the winter so you don't wreck the paint. I will eventually change out the grill to something newer looking but that is one of the last things I do since that is only for aesthetics. The lights will get changed but not right away since they still work. I am considering putting in flashing ambers into the grill and maybe on the dash. And when I out the KC lights on the roof I will put a strobe or two up there.
I am currently developing/engineering a design for a new center console. When I have a couple ideas for it I will post the pictures of my designs (drawings).

OP
OP
G

gangrel1230

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For now I am since I don't want to have to get it redone anytime soon. That is something I want to save for later when I have the money and when I am well on my way with modding it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustGibby