Grinding issues when starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tayang77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with 100k miles. I’ve been having a random problem while starting (maybe once a month) where it will try to engage, stop, then make a loud grinding noise. I’ve included a link to my YouTube since I can’t post a video here.
I put a new starter in assuming it was that, then a new battery after it kept happening. A month later it’s still doing it. Can’t seem to find any info on this, has anyone experienced the same thing? Just ordered a new wiring harness but not sure that’s the problem.
Thanks in advance!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with 100k miles. I’ve been having a random problem while starting (maybe once a month) where it will try to engage, stop, then make a loud grinding noise. I’ve included a link to my YouTube since I can’t post a video here.
I put a new starter in assuming it was that, then a new battery after it kept happening. A month later it’s still doing it. Can’t seem to find any info on this, has anyone experienced the same thing? Just ordered a new wiring harness but not sure that’s the problem.
Thanks in advance!
sounds like you might need to use a shim on the starter, the gear is getting stuck on the flywheel instead of retracting freely. probably needs alignment, hence the shim. might have been a couple in the box with the new starter sometimes they are included and sometimes not

OP
OP
T

Tayang77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sounds like you might need to use a shim on the starter, the gear is getting stuck on the flywheel instead of retracting freely. probably needs alignment, hence the shim. might have been a couple in the box with the new starter sometimes they are included and sometimes not
Makes sense, thank you.
My new one didn’t come with any shims, I don’t think the old one had any installed. Do you think even though it will start fine for a while (sometimes alternating the strength at which it fires up if that makes sense) in between the random grinds it’d be spacing? Would this mean it’s too close? Not sure I can see my flywheel to measure.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, thank you.
My new one didn’t come with any shims, I don’t think the old one had any installed. Do you think even though it will start fine for a while (sometimes alternating the strength at which it fires up if that makes sense) in between the random grinds it’d be spacing? Would this mean it’s too close? Not sure I can see my flywheel to measure.
any autoparts store should sell the shims, I would assume there is some risk of breaking off a piece of either the starter gear or flywheel if left like that.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the new starter you purchased has an alignment issue, I wouldn’t think shims would be necessary with a new starter. I would consider taking that one back and getting a new one.