Had an interesting performance-relevant experience while driving today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Michael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't condone street racing, it's dangerous and illegal.

I drive a 2024 RST with the 6.2L, and I don't know if it's the bright Radiant Red paint with blacked-out trim, quad exhaust tips that I keep polished, or my vanity plate, but since I've gotten it, I get challenged at lights by sporty vehicles on occasion. I generally avoid it for obvious reasons and just let them do their thing, but I was driving through town on the main thoroughfare and this very clean, black Audi A5 was playing with me as we kept catching all the red lights. We were made eye contact and were both smiling and having fun, nothing crazy, just moderate acceleration up to the speed limit between lights. Not even flooring them or racing, we were both just enjoying our vehicles on a Sunday drive (honest truth). The main thoroughfare in my town turns into highway after the last light as you leave town, so the road splits with a wide median between the two directions and the speed limit initially goes up to 60 then up again to 70 a short distance down. After going through all the lights in town, me and this Audi get stopped at the last light leaving town before it splits into divided highway and I knew it was on, and if I back off at 70 we can do it somewhat legally, so a rare opportunity to have some fun without being dumb about it. He gives the nod and when the light turns green, to avoid implicating myself I'll just say we "accelerated to the legal speed limit in a heartily fashion". To my surprise, the 6.2 Tahoe kept the Audi back at the rear bumper up until I backed off (at the speed limit of course). Didn't gap him, but was ahead of him. He threw me a thumbs up and metal horns through his sunroof when he finally passed as I slowed to take the next exit, which was cool, he was a good sport.

Apparently the 6.2L RST can hang with an Audi A5 when doing 0-70. I looked up the 0-60 for an A5 and it reportedly is in the 5.3 second range while a 6.2 RST is in the 5.8-5.9 second range, so his car is faster on paper and I'm guessing would easily pull ahead above a certain speed when the Tahoe's brick-like aerodynamics really come into play, but not this time (seriously, racing is dumb and dangerous, we just accelerated to the speed limit and backed off). He had his windows down and sunroof open, so maybe the extra air drag on his car helped me make up for his faster time on paper.

Anyone else have any fun and relatively safe performance stories with your vehicle?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

I drive a 2024 RST with the 6.2L, and I don't know if it's the bright Radiant Red paint with blacked-out trim, quad exhaust tips that I keep polished, or my vanity plate, but since I've gotten it, I get challenged at lights by sporty vehicles on occasion. I generally avoid it for obvious reasons and just let them do their thing, but I was driving through town on the main thoroughfare and this very clean, black Audi A5 was playing with me as we kept catching all the red lights. We were made eye contact and were both smiling and having fun, nothing crazy, just moderate acceleration up to the speed limit between lights. Not even flooring them or racing, we were both just enjoying our vehicles on a Sunday drive (honest truth). The main thoroughfare in my town turns into highway after the last light as you leave town, so the road splits with a wide median between the two directions and the speed limit initially goes up to 60 then up again to 70 a short distance down. After going through all the lights in town, me and this Audi get stopped at the last light leaving town before it splits into divided highway and I knew it was on, and if I back off at 70 we can do it somewhat legally, so a rare opportunity to have some fun without being dumb about it. He gives the nod and when the light turns green, to avoid implicating myself I'll just say we "accelerated to the legal speed limit in a heartily fashion". To my surprise, the 6.2 Tahoe kept the Audi back at the rear bumper up until I backed off (at the speed limit of course). Didn't gap him, but was ahead of him. He threw me a thumbs up and metal horns through his sunroof when he finally passed as I slowed to take the next exit, which was cool, he was a good sport.

Apparently the 6.2L RST can hang with an Audi A5 when doing 0-70. I looked up the 0-60 for an A5 and it reportedly is in the 5.3 second range while a 6.2 RST is in the 5.8-5.9 second range, so his car is faster on paper and I'm guessing would easily pull ahead above a certain speed when the Tahoe's brick-like aerodynamics really come into play, but not this time (seriously, racing is dumb and dangerous, we just accelerated to the speed limit and backed off). He had his windows down and sunroof open, so maybe the extra air drag on his car helped me make up for his faster time on paper.

Anyone else have any fun and relatively safe performance stories with your vehicle?
Never done any real racing I just cut doughnuts at a couple certain intersections to piss certain people off or hit a 30 roll when it’s raining to fishtail it back and fourth this is in my Silverado definitely not my Tahoe my Tahoe is a pig

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

not sure how relatively safe it was but......
145MPH1.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sean Michael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
not sure how relatively safe it was but......
View attachment 441317
143mph is nuts, I don't believe I've ever reached a speed like that in any road vehicle, driver or passenger. As you can probably tell by my post, I'm fairly reserved and boring when it comes to driving, so even a friendly 0-70 pull is thrilling, lol. I'm sure some of you guys think that's a yawner, but it gave this typically boring driver a smile.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
143mph is nuts, I don't believe I've ever reached a speed like that in any road vehicle, driver or passenger. As you can probably tell by my post, I'm fairly reserved and boring when it comes to driving, so even a friendly 0-70 pull is thrilling, lol. I'm sure some of you guys think that's a yawner, but it gave this typically boring driver a smile.
ya, what I "have done" is not advisable, don't speed it's dangerous
as they say save it for the track......
as a retired highway patrol officer once told me, you may be able to drive very well, it's "others" you have to watch out for...... very true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gbeach1