Help!! Penny in cigar lighter problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarlosDorado89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2001 GMC Yukon Denali Well I had a penny fall into the cigar lighter, I tried to fish it it out and then sparks started flying and alooooot of smoke started coming from under the center console I freaked out but than it stopped smoking. Well I took apart the center console to find out the wires leading to the cigar lighter are burnt to a crisp and the lighter doesn't work neither do my interior lights when I replace the fuse for the cigar and courtesy lamps they blow right away so it's shorting out.

How would you go about fixing this? With details please
How long would a shop take to fix or is there something I could possibly do? What's the worse case scenario here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Replace all sections of burnt wire, and plug, THEN try a new fuse.

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is happen to me a while back, I got screwed previous owner had installed a 30 amp fused melted wires all the out to the engine bay fuse block. I 3 fuses that kept blowing. I had to remove the dash and follow wires. I had to seperate each wire replace what was to damaged and taped some that were minor. Took me a weekend to do Prob total of 8 hours. That harness goes right up behind the climate control, radio then runs behind the cluster then drops back down to the foot well where it splits to some stuff under dash and rest go out into engine bay. Hope some of that helps. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. Good luck.
A35D89F0-1CE3-47F3-A95C-D2E0347B8FFE_zps9lxtynnq.jpg
8C7E9EAD-A59F-4C4C-9279-D608C2D8A26B_zpsewb86ay7.jpg
Billy

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CarlosDorado89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of... Also I had the same thing for some reason there was a 25 amp fuse in mine.
So basically you think the same thing probably happen with mine? where the wire melted all the way to the fuse block? Also the blue harness connector in the center console is that seperate or is there a chance some of those wires could have got damaged?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy crap what a debacle

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^+1. Sucked. Ha.

I didn't have any any issues with the connectors or wires going to the back of the center console lucky. I inspected it anyways while I had it apart. You gotta take a good amount apart to check the wires and replace that haness is tuck away pretty good. If you look at my 1st pic middle of the dash about you can see the harness I had to get out and do repairs I replaced Prob 6 wires total repaired few others. If your comfortable working on your truck you can do it. A shop Prob would change you time and material Prob not be cheap.
Billy.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I'm sure. A job like that would tempt me to just light it on fire and walk away haha

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems like it would be easier to run some new wires. But the burnt ones could have damaged other wires. Definitely open up harness and find out how far back damage goes and replace those wires. Not hard to do. Make sure you replace with equal or better wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geneblakeney