Help with Choice of Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inkedin1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm newbie here, and I just purchased my first Tahoe a few days ago. (I'll post pictures soon). It is a 2002 z71 with a 176,000 miles. I purchased it from the second owner and it seems to be in the above average condition, less a few scratches, and minor dents. It runs and drives like pretty much like it has 30,000 miles on it. I drove over to 700 miles one way to buy it so it had a real good test on my way home. My question is what kind of oil should I use with this mileage? Looking at the owners manual, I'm assuming the first owner (second owner purchased in 2005) was using synthetic since they had the oil changed about every 4500 miles. The second owners had it changed every 3000 (or so they said) and although they maintained it well, they weren't really "car" people and were not sure what oil it has been using. Should I use a oil recommended for high mileage, synthetic oil or ????? Any input will be great appreciated. Thank You!!

Red_Raider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad and I have been running Valvoline full synthetic since new. Personally I think the high mileage oil is just a way to get a few extra bucks out of you.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^i feel the same way if you change your oil on a regular basis should be no problem. and i use castrol synthetic or mobile 1

Cerberus66

Reaction score
Royal Purple on all my rides, 5w30.

I am sold on RP, its just a brand I like, Nothing more.

I have seen syn oils do very well here in Dallas where ground air temps in stop and go traffic can reach 125 degrees.

the way I judge oil is in extreme heat, I have seen oil pressures drop and engines make noises, tapping noises with dino oil, when switched to syn nor more issues.....

Extreme cold for me is just making sure the viscosity is correct and oil flows at start up .

OP
OP
inkedin1

inkedin1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Than You for the information. So I should go ahead and use synthetic even with the high mileage and not knowing what the previous owner used in it? I guess that is what I will be doing then. Here is a picture of my new baby. Not the color one of my first color choices, but I can live with it. This color wasn't at the bottom of my choices, in fact I really like it. I'm just not looking forward to keeping the exterior clean!

Attachments

• Tahoe 1st pictures 006.jpg
    Tahoe 1st pictures 006.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 16

Cerberus66

Reaction score
Than You for the information. So I should go ahead and use synthetic even with the high mileage and not knowing what the previous owner used in it? I guess that is what I will be doing then. Here is a picture of my new baby. Not the color one of my first color choices, but I can live with it. This color wasn't at the bottom of my choices, in fact I really like it. I'm just not looking forward to keeping the exterior clean!

Convert and enjoy.

Funny thing that rings true to basic common sense......

When a new engine is started most builders say run on dino oil so the rings seat. WHY? because dino oil doesnt lubricate as well as syn oil......If this is true, then every car will benefit from using syn oil.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Castrol GTX high mileage, use it on my Tahoe and my previous Mustangs, no complaints

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full synthetic is the only way to go.

I use to use Mobile 1 religiously, but was sold on AMSOIL after a friend who owns our local Carquest turned me on to it. After running it for a while and changing it every 3K miles in my Duramax, he kept telling me I was wasting money and that it could handle going a LOT longer than that. Since then I have personally run it almost 20K miles on one oil and filter change and I have customers who have run it much further using used oil analysis to guide them on their intervals. One customer (who later became a dealer) ran one oil change for over 34K miles without the oil viscosity or TBN breaking down and without any abnormal build up of dirt or wear particles in his 2008 LMM Duramax. A vehicle I might at that is known for fuel dilution issues.

That being said, don't buy into the "Change it every 3K and be done with it". Synthetic lubricant technology has vastly improved over the past 40 years, ever since AMSOIL FIRST offered Synthetic Lubricants to the automotive industry. They were the first to offer full synthetic oil for the automotive industry and have remained the industry leader ever since. No other oil manufacturer can legitimately make that claim. Their Signature series oils come with a WARRANTED recommended service interval of up to 25K miles or one year in normal operating conditions. Whether you run the oil that long or not, the peace of mind of knowing that the oil has the quality formulation to be ABLE to go that far while still providing second to none engine protection is worth every single penny.

Also, I have sold many oil changes to those that were comparing pricing between AMSOIL, Royal purple and others that chose AMSOIL because with the discounts I offer to forum members, they spent less while receiving what I honestly believe to be the best oil on the market. Keep in mind, unlike some other AMSOIL dealers, I became a dealer BECAUSE of my experience with the oil, NOT the other way around.

If I can help out with further information about AMSOIL products please don't hesitate to PM or email me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925