Help with LED rapid blinking problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fast flash

your trucks fast flash when either the FRONT or REAR turn signals go out.

the truck doesn't know which one.

If you replace your rear lights with low load LEDs you are missing approx 6.5 ohm load each.

If you replace your rear AND fronts you are missing approx 5 ohm load total.

you need to either remove the trucks ability to fast flash.

or create enough of a load on that WHOLE circuit to trick it into thinking the lights work.

5 ohms is more resistance than 6 ohms.

using this you can figure out what resistance you need based on missing bulbs.

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp

13v at 27 watts (your rear bulbs) = 6.26 ohms.

c'mon people, electricity is fun! :)

if someone could post the front bulb wattage we could calc that as well.

I took 13v because your car bounces from 12-14.1, etc... averaging here.

6 ohms works for me because I only did the tails.

If I do LED fronts I need to either remove the 6 ohm ones and put in a lower ohm (more resitance) or add resistors to the front LEDs. if they fast flashed. If not, I'd leave it alone.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
Thanks I will! The vendor did ask if I had upgraded the sound system with Amps etc. so that can be an issue I guess. My truck came with the factory Navigation and the DVD systems so my truck is otherwise stock.

Strange, I have an LTZ too with everything you do and I have not had any issues. Good luck

OP
OP
FL_Yukon

FL_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
your trucks fast flash when either the FRONT or REAR turn signals go out.

the truck doesn't know which one.

If you replace your rear lights with low load LEDs you are missing approx 6.5 ohm load each.

If you replace your rear AND fronts you are missing approx 5 ohm load total.

you need to either remove the trucks ability to fast flash.

or create enough of a load on that WHOLE circuit to trick it into thinking the lights work.

5 ohms is more resistance than 6 ohms.

using this you can figure out what resistance you need based on missing bulbs.

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp

13v at 27 watts (your rear bulbs) = 6.26 ohms.

c'mon people, electricity is fun! :)

if someone could post the front bulb wattage we could calc that as well.

I took 13v because your car bounces from 12-14.1, etc... averaging here.

6 ohms works for me because I only did the tails.

If I do LED fronts I need to either remove the 6 ohm ones and put in a lower ohm (more resitance) or add resistors to the front LEDs. if they fast flashed. If not, I'd leave it alone.

OK, here is my deal. I buy lights, they say oh yea these are "plug-in and go" and now I see all of these other issues. OK, I get that BUT since I have replaced both the front and back lights (no probs when I only had the fronts in btw) and both sets come with resistors at each light I am not sure if you are saying replace the existing resistor OR adding to them! Do I need a 5 Ohm at each light? If so, which wire do I splice and add the resistor? I guess I need more info.

Still no word yet from the vendor. They are Cally based so they are 3 hours behind me here in FL.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

OK, I received an email from the vendor and he has been corresponding with the manufacturer and the first response was to "OK, he’ll run some tests for us, he said that you can try disconnect the battery for at least 10 mins to restart the computer, sometimes, after restart, the problem is gone."

So that may help some of you BUT then I got a more definitive email that indicates that the tail lights should have 7 Ohm resistors vs. the 10 Ohm they came with. That tracks with what SabrToothSqrl is saying.

I promise that as things progress I will keep you in informed.

Again, Revotec has been awesome in all of this and I hope you give them a look on eBay.

Last edited:

Cr8ter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked your voltage gauge to see if it falls below 10-12V? I noticed on my G3 led tails that sometimes if my voltage drops below that I will get rapid blinking on my turn signal when brakes are applied but only to my right side tail lights.

OP
OP
FL_Yukon

FL_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked your voltage gauge to see if it falls below 10-12V? I noticed on my G3 led tails that sometimes if my voltage drops below that I will get rapid blinking on my turn signal when brakes are applied but only to my right side tail lights.

You know what? I am finding the same thing! Very interesting. Normally the gauge just sits just north of 14 but then other times drop down below 14 but above 9 and then I get the blinking.

I will have new 7 Ohm resistors tomorrow from the my vendor who got them Friday from the factory in Taiwan so I will let you all know how that goes.

Cr8ter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You know what? I am finding the same thing! Very interesting. Normally the gauge just sits just north of 14 but then other times drop down below 14 but above 9 and then I get the blinking.

Yeah exactly how my right tail acts up sometimes

I will have new 7 Ohm resistors tomorrow from the my vendor who got them Friday from the factory in Taiwan so I will let you all know how that goes.

Definitely keep us posted

yukon07Artic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, could really use some help here. I have a 2009 Yukon SLT and I replaced both the front and tails with Eagle Eyes LED lights. I put the heads in first and I had zero probs with rapid blinking UNTIL I added the tails about three weeks later! What is weird is that the rapid blinking only occurs on the left/driver's side and only when I apply the brakes! The vendor has been super and first we tried a new resistor box on the left tail and more recently a brand new left tail and the rapid blinking on the left side persists. Now I am wondering if it is the left front light or the flasher unit.

Anyone have an idea of what is going on? :emotions122:

Also, I was looking for the flasher unit and I cannot seem to locate it (still surfing Google in the hopes of finding some kind of illustration there). Anyone know where the unit is located on my vehicle.

Finally, has anyone had success with this fix?

http://ryoogle.com/LED/tahoe-hyper-flash-fix.php

or using the Super Bright LED flasher unit (although I think mine will be a 10 prong and I didn't see a 10 prong on the superbrightled.com website)?

I came across this same exact problem when i was doing my escalade led tail light swap. This is due to not connecting the resistor in to the right wires. You should try installing the lights exactly the way the right lights are conencted. Do one wire at a time and compare it with the fully functional side

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came across this same exact problem when i was doing my escalade led tail light swap. This is due to not connecting the resistor in to the right wires. You should try installing the lights exactly the way the right lights are conencted. Do one wire at a time and compare it with the fully functional side

My problem is intermittent, which doesn't seem to jive with a wiring problem. Seems like a wiring problem would result in a full-time problem.

Mine didn't fast-blink at all over the past 3 days (knock on wood)... Odd...

OP
OP
FL_Yukon

FL_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The resistors on both my fronts and tails came factory installed so I think the wiring is right but the amount of resistance (10Ohm) is too low and that is why the factory is sending me new 7Ohm resistors to replace the old ones.

As to the intermittancy of rapid blinking, the drop in voltage (based on the dash gauge as mentioned in an earlier post) seems to be consistent with what I am finding. Since I don't find electricity particularly fun or interesting I will have to rely on others here to fill in the physics of what may be going on with this aspect of the problem.

Finally, I have confirmed the resistors reached my local Tampa USPS very early this morning and they should be on the truck for delivery today. I will have the resistors changed out tonight and I will report back more once I have driven with them for a day or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunRae48