Hesitation/no acceleration and stalling issue HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BubsXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This all pertains to a 2003 Yukon Denali XL

So yesterday I go and fill up my Yukon to head to a baseball game. After filling up I start driving towards the stadium and suddenly the truck stops responding to throttle inputs from me. I give it gas and it goes nowhere. It does that a couple more times and I pull off the road to stop at a parking lot and it dies. It restarts just fine and I start heading back home. It refuses to accelerate a few more times until it dies in the middle of the road and will not restart. Call for a tow and wait. After sitting for about 20 minutes without touching it I try to start it and it starts just fine. I pull it off the road and up into a parking and it is running normally. I decided to drive around the parking lot to see what it will do. its starts acting up again and i park it where it slowly stalls out and dies. Get it towed back to the house where he drops it in the street. Try a couple time with no luck and then on like the 4th try it starts and I drive it into my garage.

I initially figured the fuel pump died but the fact that it will start occasionally has me thinking differently.

Here are a few more details about it.
When it refuses to start I get no readout on any of the digital messages on teh dash (message center and gear read out)

When it does start the gauges do a full sweep and then return to normal.

It is not throwing any codes aside from an 02 sensor code that has been there for at least 6 months. No codes are stored either except it had a random misfire code once before it stalled.

I have an OBD reader in the car and when it is not accelerating the OBD software that I am using is showing that the ECU is seeing the throttle inputs I am giving it but the truck is not responding.

Does anybody have any suggestions as what could be causing my issues?

TraumaTruck1

Reaction score
My first guess would be water in your gas since it happened almost immediately after you got gas. You might try going to the parts store and getting some "Heat".

OP
OP
B

BubsXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thought had crossed my mind or even junk in the tank. The gas station was also getting refilled (tanker filling up the tanks) while I was there.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

I noticed that when I turn the key to the on position and go to start it that I am not getting any of the warning lights that cycle on and off during the normal start procedures.

TraumaTruck1

Reaction score
I would think that if you are having issues with your dash warning lights, it may be a computer issue.

I still think that it's to much of a coincidence to do it right after you get gas. It's even more suspicious since the truck was there filling the tank. The truck could have stirred something up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BubsXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep looking at it and the lack of any dash warning light aside from the check engine light (O2 sensor issue that I have had for at least 6 month) is what is confusing me. Im not even getting the parking brake indicator lit up even though the parking brake is set. I also have no transmission selector lights and the message center is blank and does not work. I would have initially thought it would be a bad ECU but I can still get readings off the OBD2 post for things like coolant temp and throttle position so the ECU is at least communicating.

Reaction score
Sounds like either the body control module or some bad grounds connection check your battery terminals make sure there nice and tight also check the grounds behind each of the cylinder heads there black wires with a white tracer and the last one is under cylinder # 3 bolted to the engine block check those out.. oh yea one more thing it can also be the ignition switch when its starts happening check to see if your power windows work

OP
OP
B

BubsXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to follow up with this, it ended up being a bad fuel pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo