HIDs for the high beams? clear day time running lamps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey whats up guys i have a 2004 tahoe with 6k hids on the low beams and i was wondering if there is such a thing as hids for the hi beams as i dont like the change in color from a blue-ish white to a yellow orange from the stock hi beams, also i dont like how the daytime running lamps are orange yellow color as it looks bad with the hids and the orange part of the glass looks bad IMO but anyways has anyone done this or knows what im talking about?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
plenty of people have done it. The problem with putting HIDs in the high beams is that it takes a little while for them to warm up and actually output more light... as well as its not good for the ballasts to be flicked on and off real quick in a "flash to pass" type of thing.

I swapped mine for a Bi-xenon hid projector so I have HID High and low beams in one bulb. I am running 5000k headlights and bought some sylvania "4300k" bulbs for my halogen high beam. on the ground they arent too much more yellow, however when looking at the bulb lit up its definitely still yellow.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
plenty of people have done it. The problem with putting HIDs in the high beams is that it takes a little while for them to warm up and actually output more light... as well as its not good for the ballasts to be flicked on and off real quick in a "flash to pass" type of thing.
x2 on this

I have 6k in both my fogs and lows. If you still want to go with a HID kit in your highs you will need a 9005 kit. as far as changing out you daytime lights they are 3157 and ive swapped all mine out to LEDs to get rid of the orange/yellow look. also the the orange reflector in the lens to get rid of it you will have to buy some new clear lens off ebay or amazon. the usually run 20-30 dollars for the pair

OP
OP
C
Reaction score

I swapped mine for a Bi-xenon hid projector so I have HID High and low beams in one bulb. I am running 5000k headlights and bought some sylvania "4300k" bulbs for my halogen high beam. on the ground they arent too much more yellow, however when looking at the bulb lit up its definitely still yellow.

i just dont like the color change from white blue to yellow orange and i dont like the orange lights that are on constantly while you drive.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

x2 on this

I have 6k in both my fogs and lows. If you still want to go with a HID kit in your highs you will need a 9005 kit. as far as changing out you daytime lights they are 3157 and ive swapped all mine out to LEDs to get rid of the orange/yellow look. also the the orange reflector in the lens to get rid of it you will have to buy some new clear lens off ebay or amazon. the usually run 20-30 dollars for the pair

So for the fog lights I would have to run another set of hids and the day time running lamps I can just swap the bulb. Is the a part number for the lens that doesn't have the orange reflector?

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
C
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-AMBE...:2004|Model:Tahoe&hash=item486409cfa4&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-White-HI...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2e60fdf1&vxp=mtr
these arent the exact lens I bought but close and these are the bulbs Im currently running in my daytime running lights and love them.
and yes you will have to run another HID kit if you want to do the fogs as well

Oh cool thanks for the links ill check these out today as far as the fog light HIDS are they the same as the low beams 9006 or are they different?

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They use a 880 bulbs, but you have to stick a screw driver in the hole and push the reflector further away some for the bulb to fit. Also don't use a 55w kit because it will melt the housing.

chrisreed822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shawn, can you believe I already had one of the Morimoto ballasts go bad? BUT after a couple of emails and a picture of the ballast, TRS is putting a new one in the mail for me and I'll have it in a few days. Not to sure why it went bad in just a couple of weeks though...

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you make sure to have a good ground on the relay harness for the ballasts? I'm surprised but they are still aftermarket stuff so I guess it's possible lol.
Sweet truck. That's a good picture. I like it alot.

PS I see the black center caps! Way better!

chrisreed822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filed it down to bare metal when I first put the DDM lights in back around October and have never had an issue. With my luck I just got the one faulty ballast out of thousands.
I had to go with your advice on the centercaps, really glad I did to cause imo it makes them look ten times better!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbow555