Hit deer, Transmission is dead?! WTF?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, Wtf?! I hit a deer goin to see my daughter today. Now my transmission is screwed. It works for a minute or two, then nothin just Revs like its in neutral or park. What the hell?!? So its not driveable and now I'm down a vehicle.. On the upside I have insurance, I just made changes to my policy on Sunday, thank god. So it should be taken care of. Anyway, I don't get it, why is my transmission screwed up. There were no problems prior.. any ideas?!

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is odd. Only thing I can figure is the impact damaged the radiator or transmission cooler causing fluid loss for the transmission. You probably would have noticed a leak though.

OP
OP
Trixxterr

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radiator mounts driver side busted, upper and lower. Shoved back about 4inches on driver side...Trans fluid looks, smells ok, radiator fluid looks, smells ok too. I was able to move it about 30ft and up onto a trailer then that was it. Then again about an hour later was able to move it off the trailer to my driveway, then nothing, again.

OP
OP
Trixxterr

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you let the claims adjuster know about the trans problem.

Good luck with it man!

Yeah I will, I even put it in my claim, about the transmission.

Huh, yeah. I'm already getting the round around, since I made changes on my policy a few days ago, they are being all super suspicious.. oh well, whatever.. just fix it. I know they are goin to jack up my rates anyways, so just get it goin and fixed so we can move on.

I'm expecting a call from the adjuster in the morning. So hopefully we can schedule a meeting to go over the damage and go from there.

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how that turns out. I don't see how the trans issue would be related to the collision if there are no leaks. But what do I know.

OP
OP
Trixxterr

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a pinched cooler line?

Yeah, that's an idea.there is a cooler of some sort on the driver side that is damaged, so maybe that's the problem..

Expecting the call today, so we'll see how it goes.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a pinched cooler line?

Yeah, that's my idea as well!

I'd also go back and take pics of the scene, especially if there is evidence that you got into the wreck there still!! I took pics of a wreck that I was in from a bunch of different angles just for my own self, then about a month after my truck was fixed I ended up having a CV joint boot crap out out of nowhere!! Figured I'd ran something over during the wreck causing the rip to happen so I went through the pics and low and behold I snapped off a small tree on the inside of my tire tracks that you could still see in the pics!! The insurance company went from suspicious to no problem right away when shown the pics, saved me a good chunk of coin!!

Last edited:

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fwiw i second the whole radiator trans cooler leak/pinched line theory. if the juices arent circulating...

also could have damaged something internal when you hit, the sudden change in speed could have jacked something up (i snapped something in one of my old trucks in a similar incident)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065