home made high 4 kit for less then 3 dollars,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

"350Vortec"

*Tahoeless, For now*
Reaction score
Hey DJ, I still haven't received my kit in the mail yet...Was it shipped or no?

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey whatare those running lights you have in there, they look so deep blue. hit me back thatshits tight

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey DJTricky, your writeup worked like a charm!!!

Today I went to Princess Auto, bought a relay kit, The Source, bought a diode.
Came back home, printed out your instructions, and in a few hours, voila!

Hehe, the hard part was removing the front grill to gain access to the wires and change my hi-beam bulbs.(unrelated, I bought 4 new bulbs while at Princess) I actually had to run inside and search this forum to discover that I had to remove the signal lights first to gain access to the bottom two clips...dope...

Anyways, thanks for taking the effort and time to post this!!!

"350Vortec"

*Tahoeless, For now*
Reaction score
No need to remove the grill at all. There are two posts on each head light sticking out the top if you open your hood. But anyways, you could have tapped into the wiring for the headlights right inside the wire wrap running alongside the driverside in the engine bay

97-350

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys:
Nice forum you have here.

I should probably start a new thread with the following question, but I wanted to answer 350Vortec's question about the relay. See below.

I was just trying to figure out how to change the high beams on my '97 tahoe. A couple of years ago, I bought both the low- and high beam bulbs. Then, I opened the hood. WTF!!!

Apparently, the two bolts on top of the headlight assembly were introduced in a later model year? Please tell me I'm wrong. But I just don't see them.

In order to change the right side low beam bulb, I had to remove the battery and the horn. Nice design element there, GM! Keeps their mechanics busy on the legacy vehicles, no?

I never could figure out how to change the high beams. They are now a very attractive yellow. Kind of like sunset on a warm summer evening. But they don't brighten up the road much.

Needless to say, the high-beam bulbs are still sitting on my workbench.

If anyone could help me with instructions on how to easily pop in those high beams, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Update:

Doh!! There's an old saying: RTFB. Read the frapping book. I just discovered the secret screws on page 6-38 of the Owner's Manual. That's right. The Owner's Manual. Not the Repair Manual. Duhh.

Thanks for the tips.

Just wondering, If i wanted to do this to my buddy tahoe.

Could i pick up a relay like this? http://www.delcity.net/store/Change-Over-Relay-!-with-diode/p_73580.a_1

With the diode built in? Instead of buying the diode seperate?

Or this one

This one is not a change over relay, just a regular relay with diode
http://www.delcity.net/store/Relay-!-with-diode/p_73578.a_1

350Vortec:
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I had to think about my answer for about 5 1/2 months! :)
I'm not an electronics engineer, but I would say the short answer is no.

The way I see it, a change-over relay "changes over" from one load to another. Say, switches a heater from low heat to high heat. I haven't looked at the wiring diagram for the hid-4 or 6 yet, but I'm guessing they're using the low-current (coil) or control side of the relay to "sense" that the high beams are energized. This "pulls in" the contact on the high-current or load side of the relay and powers the high beams in an independent circuit.

The diode on the change-over relay you submitted, I'm guessing here, is for the purpose of preventing a problem with coils. When the juice is turned off, there's a seriously big (high) voltage spike that occurs. This can wreak havok in an electronic circuit. The diode is a really nice way to prevent this problem.

I'm guessing that the diode these very creative guys have designed into their circuit is to prevent the high beams from coming on when you select low beams. In other words, to prevent the electricity from sneaking backwards through the circuit, producing undesireable results. Like dazzling oncoming drivers, and/or being pulled over by smoky.

Once again, I apologize for the late post, but I just discovered your terrific forum!

Thanks a lot.

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DJTricky

Banned
Reaction score
you got it sir. the change over relay is for just that. one load to another. and the diode is for suppressing the voltage spike.

now with the way its set up to make the kit, the diode is to prevent back feeding. this would cause both headlights to be on 24/7 when you turn on your low beams

Johnny Racer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be interested in buying one of these kits if you still have any left. Let me know... this sounds kinda neat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925