Horrible gas mileage!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vjr021

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a GPS to figure your mileage, if your 24's are throwing your speedo off, it will effect your mileage as well..

The larger your tire size, the farther off your speed... ex. (guess) with your new wheels you are actually traveling 55 mph, but your speedo says 50. SO, if you actually travel 300 miles, your miles on your odometer reading will be lower... thus effecting the MPG.

once you change the diameter, don't trust the OEM gauges, you will have to use a GPS and a calculator to figure MPG.

OP
OP
tkemp

tkemp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you serious on the 3city/4.5highway?

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

it cant b that bad

BlackDenali

Roof Rack ****
Reaction score
I was exagerating slightly.....;)

I get about 10mpg city and 14mpg highway.

I am full time AWD and have the 24's, but after that air filter is new, fuel filter is new, spark plugs are new and I still get shit milage......I'm just used to it by now.

Had the 24's basicly since the day I bought the truck back in early '04!!

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
are you serious on the 3city/4.5highway?

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

it cant b that bad

I was exagerating slightly.....;)

I get about 10mpg city and 14mpg highway.

I am full time AWD and have the 24's, but after that air filter is new, fuel filter is new, spark plugs are new and I still get shit milage......I'm just used to it by now.

Had the 24's basicly since the day I bought the truck back in early '04!!

he is exaggerating but im not lol

i know i dont get much better than 10 mpg

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Looks like the Pre-07 models are just bad with gas, I know someone who had a 07 Esky with 26s and always got aleast 13MPG wprst case scenario!

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the odometer is like the speedometer and linked to revolutions of the drivetrain, then bigger wheels (or more specifically bigger overall radius/circumference) will cause less revolutions to the odometer for the same distance traveled. Therefore, your odometer reading will be less than before, even though you may have traveled the same amount. Thus, MPG will be much less. If your overall diameter is the same, well then, nevermind. Must be the weight of those dang things. (basically what vjr021 said now that I read the entire thread..sorry.)

WoldD90

Off Road Addict
Reaction score
If you are looking for great gas mileage, get a Toyota Pious, not a Tahoe or Yukon.

But, try and get 6 people is a Pious, plus luggage and etc.

Scott

OP
OP
tkemp

tkemp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no im not looking for great gas mileage... i noticed a huge drop when i put rims on my truck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salty Crusty

Latest posts