How do I bleed a dry brake system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I upgraded my 04 Yukon to the SSBC big brake kit and stoptech stainless brake lines. I took my calipers off to epoxy them so the truck sat on jack stands for days and all the fluid leaked out including the reservoir. I have tried the 2 man farthest away method and the brake fluid reservoir level doesn't move. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to bench bleed the master cylinder? Can I bleed any ABS components? Thanks

txsmainevent

"The Lurker"
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to bleed the master cylinder first then move to the furthest away.....

yukon23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree, I bet you got air in the master. Is there any fluid coming out the bleeders at all ? I would fill with fluid then disconnect the brake line from the calipers and see if it will drain with gravity first. if it does open the bleeders and screw the line back on then bleed the master etc...

OP
OP
Badluck

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bled the master and didn't get the air I was expecting. I finally got fluid out of the farthest bleeder. I guess I was just impatient and expecting more fluid to move through the system with the calipers, hoses, and possibly lines being empty.

After bleeding all four corners I mounted the tires and set the truck back down off the jack stands, start it up and I have no pedal. All the way to the floor. So now I will try bleeding the system again. I also am going to replace my master cylinder because after bleeding it, fluid continued to leak from the ports.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365