How hard is it to change a fuel pump in a 2007 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orange72blazer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A friend of my wifes asked me to help her husband change the fuel pump in their 2007 Suburban. They were quoted $1,000 by the local shop to do it but don't have the money. Parts were $350-$400 the rest was labor, the shop said it was a real pain to do. I have all the basic tools & have sucessfully done a fuel pump in my 1997 Chevy truck about 10 years ago but have never worked on anything newer than this.
So my question is this something the average person can do? Would we need any special tools? Anyone have any tips or sugestions.
Thanks

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
You might be able to but the bastards up top have gotten smarter and now use ( special tools ) making the average joe not able to replace by himself. Im not sure if the gms need special tools but most likely

doubletapdrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure on these NNBS you have to drop the fuel tank to get at the in-tank pump.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy to do if the tank is less than 1/4 full.

If there is more than 1/4 its a bastard to do and you'll get SOAKED in gas, the tank is big and bulky and has to be tilted down at the rear and pulled rearward to clear the frame member

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just get a big hole saw and do it from inside the truck. A few screws and some seam sealer and your done.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that you have to cut the OEM plug and solder in a new plug that is included when you buy the pump. All the NBS's I've done had to have that done. So you will need wire cutters, solder gun, solder, flux (optional), wire strippers, and soldering skills.

And please please please don't solder right above the the opening of the tank. Lay a towel or something so vapor won't come out when soldering....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968