How to adjust parking brake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erikrichard

Reaction score
So I discovered my newly purchased Yukon has a non-working parking brake. I took the caliper and rotor off and found that the parking brake shoes are worn down to metal at the bottom. I was going to buy a new set of pads, but can't figure out how the adjuster works. When I spin it counterclockwise the ridges click against the clip but it doesn't move outward. When I spin it clockwise it turns and turns. Is there another place for adjustment?
Also, if I install new pads and adjust them correctly is this going to happen again due to shit design? is there a fix?

OP
OP
E

erikrichard

Reaction score
I saw that, what I don't understand is the adjuster nut. Turning the star-shaped nut doens't result in any movement in or out, it just spins. I'm wondering if the star is frozen to the indented piece that the end of the brake shoe presses against? or are they supposed to turn together?
I've been doing some reading about this problem, and it seems to be an extremely common issue that GM should have recalled. Is there something people are doing to solve the issue of e-brake shoe wear? even though the parking brakes aren't being used they wear down to metal anyway due to vibration or something else. The side I took apart the rotor is deeply dug out from the metal-metal contact and am considering just taking both side e-brake shoes off until I figure out a fix. I'm really trying to get a handle on which direction to go with this, any help appreciated.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a stupid design. When I bought mine the e brake didn't work. Replaced rotors pads and shoes. Shoes and drum part were down to metal. Seems like the previous owner drove it with brake engaged. Still, ebrake only works when I'm parked on a decline and then I have to pull the e brake and back up an inch to release it. So, when you tighten the star does the wheel still spin freely or does it tighten up at all?

OP
OP
E

erikrichard

Reaction score
When I turn the star either clockwise or countercw it won't move in or out, it just spins with the part the brake shoe end rests against. From my reading I doubt the po of your truck drove with the ebrake on, contact occurs without ebrake use for reasons I'm not sure of - thats why I'm reluctant to replace the rotors and ebrake shoes without understand what is happening.

RobertWYoung

Reaction score
The little star wheel (nut) screws onto a sloted bolt.

If you don't have a parking brake shoe in the whole thing may rotate and make it look like it doesn't do anything.

This is a pic of the replacement parts from rockauto.com.

CARLSON Part # H7322

OP
OP
E

erikrichard

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking, I'll put the slotted bolt in a vise and try to break the star nut loose.
After more reading I've got a handle on it. GM bulletin 92-05-26-002a http://www.justanswer.com/gm/3xc0m-...ervice-bulletin-number-92-05-26-002a-how.html addresses the issue. Apparently the stock spring clip that holds the ebrake shoe allows the horeshoe shaped shoe to sag at the bottom by gravity, resulting in contact without applying the parking brake. This explains the metal to metal contact between my rotor and the bottom of the ebrake shoe. There is a newly designed clip that is supposed to fix the issue.
If anyone reading this hasn't checked your parking brake in a long time, you might want to do so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

erikrichard

Reaction score
I spent most of the day in hell messing with the rear brakes today. The driver side rotor/ebrake shoe was in considerably worse shape than the passenger side - I think I figured out why. The pass side ebrake cable attaches at the bottom of the backing plate, and is free to move as the ebrake is applied and released. The drivers side for some reason comes in at the top (the ebrake shoe is upside down to the pass side), and the piece that the cable end fits into hits the frame as the ebrake is applied. Not only does this prevent the ebrake from being applied all the way, it can stick against the frame from the pressure (I observed it sticking after applying/releasing the ebrake a few times during adjustment). I can totally see someone applying the ebrake, releasing it and the drivers side parking brake continuing to be applied while driving. I took my sawsall to the rounded tip that was hitting the frame, now there is no risk of it sticking. I'm assuming here that all Tahoes and Yukons were sold with this issue (why would mine be different?) and am pretty amazed at such stupidity on the part of GM.

Last edited:

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I turn the star either clockwise or countercw it won't move in or out, it just spins with the part the brake shoe end rests against. From my reading I doubt the po of your truck drove with the ebrake on, contact occurs without ebrake use for reasons I'm not sure of - thats why I'm reluctant to replace the rotors and ebrake shoes without understand what is happening.

I spent most of the day in hell messing with the rear brakes today. The driver side rotor/ebrake shoe was in considerably worse shape than the passenger side - I think I figured out why. The pass side ebrake cable attaches at the bottom of the backing plate, and is free to move as the ebrake is applied and released. The drivers side for some reason comes in at the top (the ebrake shoe is upside down to the pass side), and the piece that the cable end fits into hits the frame as the ebrake is applied. Not only does this prevent the ebrake from being applied all the way, it can stick against the frame from the pressure (I observed it sticking after applying/releasing the ebrake a few times during adjustment). I can totally see someone applying the ebrake, releasing it and the drivers side parking brake continuing to be applied while driving. I took my sawsall to the rounded tip that was hitting the frame, now there is no risk of it sticking. I'm assuming here that all Tahoes and Yukons were sold with this issue (why would mine be different?) and am pretty amazed at such stupidity on the part of GM.

Did you just say what I thought you said? lol.

OP
OP
E

erikrichard

Reaction score
I still doubt the owner of the truck drove around with the parking brake pedel depressed. What I'm saying is due to design the drivers side p-brake can end up being applied even though the p-brake pedal is completely released. Sorry if I'm in a bad mood from today's ********, but it wouldn't kill you to read my post - i'm trying to help future searchers with p-brake issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trojjan