How To: Hidden Antenna Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TacHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to know this as well but for a different reason, one I haven't seen to this point ANYWHERE on here :naughty:....

Will fill everyone in on it if I can find out the size of the nut that screws on top of the threaded base piece

Anyone else?

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll probably do this mod one evening this week. i'll post what size the nut needs to be.

Claymationzoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did this mod on my 01 hoe and ran the antenna down the fender with a ring wire connecter between the base and antenna and ran the wire up the passenger side

And for those who were asking the size for the nut is 1/4 inch

Btw great write and thread overall thanks for the ideas

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the same mod as 05nali, on my '02 Avalanche and it worked great.
Tried it on my '01 Denali, and the reception went right in the toilet. FM was terrible, and AM became non-existent. So, I tried an amplified/hidden antenna that sticks to the inside of windshield. Put mine above mirror opposite side of OnStar GPS antenna. Reception is exactly the same as OEM mast antenna. What a disappointment. I'm almost wondering if there isn't something wrong with my radio?

EJ

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope not the radio.

OMG!

Believe it, or not, it made a difference in the orientation of the antenna/box.
I had, originally, mounted it to the windshield in a horizontal manner, pushed up against the headliner. But, today while eating lunch, I looked up at the box and thought, what if I turn it 90 degrees, so it sits vertical. WOW! I noticed a difference, immediately. Even while I was messing with it, I could tell a difference, as I was parked under a covered parking roof and the AM channel I was tuned to was giving a touch of static. After turning the box that static disappeared, and 'Seek' stops at more stations.

Funny, how the little things make such a big difference.

doubletap1911

Reaction score
Nope not the radio.

OMG!

Believe it, or not, it made a difference in the orientation of the antenna/box.
I had, originally, mounted it to the windshield in a horizontal manner, pushed up against the headliner. But, today while eating lunch, I looked up at the box and thought, what if I turn it 90 degrees, so it sits vertical. WOW! I noticed a difference, immediately. Even while I was messing with it, I could tell a difference, as I was parked under a covered parking roof and the AM channel I was tuned to was giving a touch of static. After turning the box that static disappeared, and 'Seek' stops at more stations.

Funny, how the little things make such a big difference.

Can you snag a few pics of your setup?

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, for the wait.

As it appears on EBay...
HiddenAntenna.jpg

From inside...
HiddenAntenna_Inside.jpg

From outside, pretty well obscured by shading...
HiddenAntenna_Outside.jpg

BaMaDuDe87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't saw this answered yet but the antenna threads should be 1/4-28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curtisleefarmer

Latest posts