How To: Hidden Antenna Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brndns_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already did mine, but I just ran wire from the antenna to the base, and I like your idea better of removing the base and laying it down....I did drill 2 holes where the antenna lays down on that thin edge, to put in zip ties....and the esky cover that's cool, didn't know about that

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. The part number is very helpful.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
just did this earlier today thanx to this thread! like it said, took about 5 minutes. I ziptied everything in place so the antena is nice and snugg.

nice little improvement

Copper&Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup thanks man! I was thinking about a stubby onstar antenna, but this will work much nicer.

OP
OP
Narco

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
glad it has gotten such good feedback. tybardy, where did you ziptie yours?

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did this a few months ago, and got about a 50% reduction in reception, and i live in town. I lost my oldies radio station from Las Cruces completely, which is my decent to marginal reception benchmark.

Was surprised it wasn't worse, since 1/4 wavelength antennas rely on being 90 degrees from ground plane (the body, ie VERTICAL) to be in-phase with the transmitting antenna's signal. Not only that but metal bodies are excellent shields for antennas. (One reason why you can disable Onstar with a coke can over the antenna).

When I did it, I could get ok reception when facing one way (crack towards the transmitters on the mountains), and poor to no reception turned 180 degrees.

OP
OP
Narco

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, i havent driver very much but i expect some degree of loss. i hardly ever listen to it and for how little i do its worth the gain in appearance.

rigo_jones

going against
Reaction score
i did this since day 1. i rarely listen to radio but has anybody tried grounding the antenna to get better reception?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcqkslvr