How to identify rear diff gear ratio.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROGELIO A GUZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas . Is there a way to identify the rear diff gear ratio. I don't have much paperwork on the xl, Im just curious to see and also the transmission. What do I have. I'm awd so im not sure. 4l60 or 4l65e

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post of picture of the RPO code sticker in your glove box? It has a series of alphanumeric sets that identify various options on your vehicle. Some of the more common ones you will see are GU6, GT4, GT5, etc

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas . Is there a way to identify the rear diff gear ratio. I don't have much paperwork on the xl, Im just curious to see and also the transmission. What do I have. I'm awd so im not sure. 4l60 or 4l65e
I’m pretty sure your vehicle has a 3.73 axle, but as was already mentioned, a look at your RPO sticker in the glove box will help confirm.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it up on a jack stand, with the rear wheels FULLY off the ground. Make sure it is in Neutral. Then rotate the tires and watch the drive shaft. So this is the part I keep messing up, so double check me... If the wheels don't quite rotate 4 times when the driveshaft rotates one, then you likely have 3.73 gears. If the wheels rotate more than 4 times for one of the drive shaft, then you have 4.10s... The part I confuse is which is supposed to rotate more -- the driveshaft or the wheels, but this gives you an idea on how to do it -- if you don't have RPO codes. If you have RPO codes, GT4 is 3.73 gears, and GT5 is 4.10 gears.

OP
OP
ROGELIO A GUZMAN

ROGELIO A GUZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post of picture of the RPO code sticker in your glove box? It has a series of alphanumeric sets that identify various options on your vehicle. Some of the more common ones you will see are GU6, GT4, GT5, etc
Thank you I will when I get home.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put it up on a jack stand, with the rear wheels FULLY off the ground. Make sure it is in Neutral. Then rotate the tires and watch the drive shaft. So this is the part I keep messing up, so double check me... If the wheels don't quite rotate 4 times when the driveshaft rotates one, then you likely have 3.73 gears. If the wheels rotate more than 4 times for one of the drive shaft, then you have 4.10s... The part I confuse is which is supposed to rotate more -- the driveshaft or the wheels, but this gives you an idea on how to do it -- if you don't have RPO codes. If you have RPO codes, GT4 is 3.73 gears, and GT5 is 4.10 gears.
He will need to get all 4 wheels off the ground to do what you are saying as his vehicle has AWD.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He will need to get all 4 wheels off the ground to do what you are saying as his vehicle has AWD.
<Sigh>. We had to do that with my daughter's Sierra Denali; the original differential we were shipped from Summit was 3.73, even though 4.10 was purchased and the case was identified as 4.10. Sorry about forgetting that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Turrentine