How to quiet the Road Noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

begone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello - just picked up a nice 08 Tri-Coat White/Black Int Yukon SLT2. I am pretty happy with the new ride. I came from an 07 ML350. One thing that I'm wanting to do is make it quietter on the highways. In town it drives real nice, but on the highways getting next to trucks, other cars, and wind it's just louder than what I would like. Any suggestions? I'm looking into Dynamat, but not quite sure how much of a difference it will make on doing 4 doors. Otherwise I'll have to do the whole carpet as well. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
Im guessing its your tires. My Tahoe rides more quite than my 08 Mercedes even with 24's. What tires are you running?

baron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, check out the tires. Tire Rack does a fairly in depth review of tires and how loud they rate. Also, if you are talking purely about wind noise, there are some discussions on that around here. It is somewhat hard to explain, but, I will put it like this. I came from an x5 that I found to have a lot less wind noise, but it was louder over all on the road. The Yukon we have has a quieter interior, but because it is so quiet, the wind noise is extra pronounced. Especially to the driver, if you are sitting else where, most people don't even notice it.

OP
OP
B

begone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bridgestones Dueler H/L - 275/55/20

I thought these were OEM Tires.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
They are OEM tires, which is strange that they would be loud. Im not sure what to tell you, I haver never had a problem with any noise at all and I am pretty used to driving high end cars.

How much tread do you have left on the Duelers?

OP
OP
B

begone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are OEM tires, which is strange that they would be loud. Im not sure what to tell you, I haver never had a problem with any noise at all and I am pretty used to driving high end cars.

How much tread do you have left on the Duelers?

Brand new. And it's not the tires that I'm hearing the road noise from. It's just general road noise from the passing cars, trucks, etc...

The mercedes ML was just so much quieter even on the highway. I'm pretty picky man - I'm a real rattle **** as well. Which I can tell you this thing, so far (only 37k miles), is much more quieter with the rattles than the ML. That ML rode like a truck. Hated it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100