How to remove GM OEM 22" Center caps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got the chevy bow tie center caps in for my GM oem 22" rims but I can't figure out how to take the existing GMC center caps off. I tried to fit a knife in there and it's way too thick. Anyone have an easy method to remove the caps without scratching the rim/caps?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know when I put mine on they got in there very tight (had to use a hammer with a towel wrapped around the business end), I can't imagine of a way to simply pop them off ... I suspect the only way to make sure not to scratch the chrome wheel is to take the wheel off and push the out from behind. :think:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple. Dismount them from the vehicle and push them off from the back. :)

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow this is disappointing news. If anyone knows a better idea then removing all four of my rims/tires just to replace the center caps please let me know. Thanks Dirk/Serge for the help.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a poor design!

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a poor design!

how is it a poor design? There is really no reason for the center cap to ever be taken off the wheel, ever. So making it near impossible to remove while the wheel is on the truck makes it a great anti-theft mechanism, not to mention no worry of it flying off while you are driving, which happens ALL the time with aftermarket wheels.

You are starting to worry me Jacob... :chicken:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:slap: I was saying it was a poor design just for this reason here. Granted that center cap should be changed very often but in this instance it's a huge pain in the ass to switch them back out. However I would agree that it'd make it near impossible to steal just the center caps and would most likely not fly as you drive down the highway :Handshake:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swilso01