How to stiffen suspension/stop swaying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
those that have changed/updated/upgraded your sway bars did your version of the GMT800 not have rear bars from the factory???...

I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali with front and rear sway bars that I believe are factory installed in my rig...I'm curious if the change to Helwig or another brand sway bar is an improvement or only an incremental upgrade for me...

thanks for any information or experiences you'd care to share...

Bill
Factory sway bars are hollow. They are not heavy..... Helwig replacements are a solid 'chrome molly' bar, and yes, they make a difference.
I had factory bars front and rear, on my 2005 Z71. I installed the Hellwig bar kits, front and rear. If you read my build thread, you will see me talk/brag about it being the single most seat of the pants improvement that I made to my Tahoe. You add in a set of quality tires, I do load range E Cooper's for the stiffer sidewall, and I cannot state enough about how much better/easier that the Tahoe handles in curves and corners, at higher speeds. After install, your first road test will be way different and longer than you thought because you just want to keep pushing the limits.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of today, I now have both Hellwig bars and all new shocks..... Feels nice.....
I asked the shop, a ballpark to do a 2" drop, ( the best quality version).... $1,600.

This shop is a custom truck shop that does the 'high-end' lifts, and other suspension up grades.
They do this stuff all the time...... Thoughts on their estimate $$ ?
Hmmm....

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As of today, I now have both Hellwig bars and all new shocks..... Feels nice.....
I asked the shop, a ballpark to do a 2" drop, ( the best quality version).... $1,600.

This shop is a custom truck shop that does the 'high-end' lifts, and other suspension up grades.
They do this stuff all the time...... Thoughts on their estimate $$ ?
Hmmm....
Don't like lifts or drops. IMO, you should drive it the way it is for awhile. You may change your mind on the drop.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with @OR VietVet on lifts and drops, UNLESS you have a SPECIFIC purpose/need for the height adjustment. Again, just my opinion, as there are no rights or wrongs in this area.

@mountie , have you 'tested' the Hellwig sway bars yet? As you probably know, @OR VietVet and I each have our own test cloverleafs, where we evaluated the performance of the Hellwig sway bars versus the OEM sway bars. We'd like to get your opinion.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with @OR VietVet on lifts and drops, UNLESS you have a SPECIFIC purpose/need for the height adjustment. Again, just my opinion, as there are no rights or wrongs in this area.

@mountie , have you 'tested' the Hellwig sway bars yet? As you probably know, @OR VietVet and I each have our own test cloverleafs, where we evaluated the performance of the Hellwig sway bars versus the OEM sway bars. We'd like to get your opinion.
I am planning to do that exact thing...... Too feel the difference / improvement..... I'll let you know.

I'm going first to test, without my tools loaded, then with my work tools stuffed inside.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am planning to do that exact thing...... Too feel the difference / improvement..... I'll let you know.

I'm going first to test, without my tools loaded, then with my work tools stuffed inside.
Keep in mind, I have load range E tires on my Tahoe along with the bars. I have a tight cloverleaf that I can go thru 15 mph more than I used to. I can hear a bit of tire squeal at times but it does not feel unsafe at all. Those bars came in very handy one time and saved me a wreck one time. I had made a right turn and was accelerating and then a car pulled out in front of me from the right, out of a gas station drive. There was a center turn lane to my left. I never let up on the accel and did a quick turn to left and then back right to miss the front of the car. Response was immediate and firm. I have no idea of the weight of tools but I would assume that the weight will not effect the performance much at all.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, I have load range E tires on my Tahoe along with the bars. I have a tight cloverleaf that I can go thru 15 mph more than I used to. I can hear a bit of tire squeal at times but it does not feel unsafe at all. Those bars came in very handy one time and saved me a wreck one time. I had made a right turn and was accelerating and then a car pulled out in front of me from the right, out of a gas station drive. There was a center turn lane to my left. I never let up on the accel and did a quick turn to left and then back right to miss the front of the car. Response was immediate and firm. I have no idea of the weight of tools but I would assume that the weight will not effect the performance much at all.
I can relate....... After years as a 'performance driving instructor', ..I learned a good handling vehicle will get you away from a 'problem'. ( Avoiding an accident.... You steer away from the problem first. Then slow down if needed. Just slamming on the brakes, ...you loose your ability to turn.
( Front wheel drive cars...... To avoid an accident, you steer toward the safe direction, and KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE GAS..... So the car travels to the direction you want to go. ( Front wheel drive, pulls the car toward the target you are aiming to )

( Then kiss your ass good by..... Front wheel drive sucks ) :D

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A mild drop or lift won’t ruin a vehicle but you have to use quality parts. Most people are cheap and get cheap results. I’ve got a 2/4 on my 08 and 13 and they drive exactly like stock, the only way you can tell it isn’t is the Michelins rub a little at full lock.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A mild drop or lift won’t ruin a vehicle but you have to use quality parts. Most people are cheap and get cheap results. I’ve got a 2/4 on my 08 and 13 and they drive exactly like stock, the only way you can tell it isn’t is the Michelins rub a little at full lock.
There it is. The tires rub. Stock height does not rub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beniskickbutt

Latest posts