How to stiffen suspension/stop swaying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I cannot see the good looks of a lowered vehicle. Stock height and stock truck in great shape, low mileage and no rust and then you got my attention. A lowered or lifted vehicle, IMO, will always have quality/uncertainty issues. Can't count on the work quality, unless I do it or know the qualifications of who did the work. The quality of components as well. Give me stock and improve handling and brakes and a clean rust free look. That is value to me.
You just described my '05..... * Also, in my mind, when I see a 'not new' Tahoe / Yukon, and is all stock, and very clean looking, I see it as a well-kept truck,... not messed with. More valuable.

Attachments

• White letters before.jpg
    White letters before.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 3

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hellwig bars fit easily front & rear on my stock '05 Yukon XL... Are you saying, the bars don't fit as well if your truck is raised or lowered?

The control arms are all in the same place with drop knuckles so that has nothing to do with it. The biggest issue I had with all three of them I’ve installed were the bushing brackets not lining up with the holes and had to be bent to line up. New sway bar links were a bugger to get started as well but the one I reused them, it wasn’t an issue. None of that is a deal breaker.
I’m just saying that everything isn’t necessarily perfect whether it’s OEM or aftermarket. The Hellwig bars aren’t perfect but that’s ok but a little tire rub is an issue even though that sometimes happens at stock height too with non-factory tires. The Michelins are more squared than the Bridgestones and rub on many trucks but they’re a far superior tire, so again that’s worth it. I’m pretty sure the 22” Bridgestones don’t rub with my drop but they’re garbage tires, definitely not something I’d go back OEM with.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The control arms are all in the same place with drop knuckles so that has nothing to do with it. The biggest issue I had with all three of them I’ve installed were the bushing brackets not lining up with the holes and had to be bent to line up. New sway bar links were a bugger to get started as well but the one I reused them, it wasn’t an issue. None of that is a deal breaker.
I’m just saying that everything isn’t necessarily perfect whether it’s OEM or aftermarket. The Hellwig bars aren’t perfect but that’s ok but a little tire rub is an issue even though that sometimes happens at stock height too with non-factory tires. The Michelins are more squared than the Bridgestones and rub on many trucks but they’re a far superior tire, so again that’s worth it. I’m pretty sure the 22” Bridgestones don’t rub with my drop but they’re garbage tires, definitely not something I’d go back OEM with.
Yea... I noticed a little mark on the L/H frame- bushing bracket, from a "tap-tap".... Just a little massage to fit...
Just like home construction.... nothing is actually square.... You have to make it fit.

Edelarosa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I bought my 04 LT last year it already had Bilstein 5100's in the front and 4600's in the back. I dont know how old they are as the truck had several owners. The truck has a bounce but what I dislike the most is the side to side sway on the freeway and over bumps. Its pretty floaty and has a body roll.

The truck has new sway bar end links as well as new inner and outer tie rods and an alignment.

I am right on the brink of needing new tires

Will a new set of 5100's fix this problem? Are there other, smaller suspension parts that would fix the issue before going for new shocks? Thanks.
I replaced rear coils , dramatic improvent .
Still have an extended bounce on the front driver corner .
So I guess I’ll need a torsion bar replaced ( shit) .
When I first purchased the 03 tahoe , I replaced all corners with rough country . Was not happy . But apparently it was my springs . I may have blown the front because of the need to replace torsion bar .
Gonna try replacing with bilstein 5100 first .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanamade81