How to turn off infotainment screen backlight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unknown47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do a lot of night driving on the interstates, sometimes driving till the sun comes up when traveling across western states I cannot stand that screen always being on. Every other vehicle I've owned I would turn the dash lights down to the lowest setting which would turn off all LEDs besides the gauges which would be very slightly lit. I don't have a problem with any of the other LEDs in all the buttons as they dim pretty low but would be nice if I could get those off too. The main concern is that that big screen even on the lowest brightness setting is still too bright for being literally the only light I'm seeing at all when driving through the deserts. I really need the backlight to just be completely off and if I touch the screen to then illuminate dimly temporarily. I don't see anyway to do this when even my crappy printer has this capability so I require my $80k Tahoe to do this simple thing of not straining my eyes with a bright screen in the middle of a dark desert. Since this is a basic thing most electronics do, I'm surely just missing this button or setting right? I know I'm not the only one having this problem, how do y'all shut the screen off because I very much do not need the screen on really at all, it's just a waste of energy and makes driving at night more dangerous?

2021 Tahoe RST Diesel

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do a lot of night driving on the interstates, sometimes driving till the sun comes up when traveling across western states I cannot stand that screen always being on. Every other vehicle I've owned I would turn the dash lights down to the lowest setting which would turn off all LEDs besides the gauges which would be very slightly lit. I don't have a problem with any of the other LEDs in all the buttons as they dim pretty low but would be nice if I could get those off too. The main concern is that that big screen even on the lowest brightness setting is still too bright for being literally the only light I'm seeing at all when driving through the deserts. I really need the backlight to just be completely off and if I touch the screen to then illuminate dimly temporarily. I don't see anyway to do this when even my crappy printer has this capability so I require my $80k Tahoe to do this simple thing of not straining my eyes with a bright screen in the middle of a dark desert. Since this is a basic thing most electronics do, I'm surely just missing this button or setting right? I know I'm not the only one having this problem, how do y'all shut the screen off because I very much do not need the screen on really at all, it's just a waste of energy and makes driving at night more dangerous?

2021 Tahoe RST Diesel
I'm going to "guess" you may need a specific calibration file to do it. or you could if so desired install a toggle switch to the radio fuse
or.... hook & loop fastener attached to a black cloth as a "blind"
there are options........
just like unplugging a led in the headliner that never goes off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coletrickle35