Hurts Taking One Like This

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K1ms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles.. I just got a Tahoe for the first time myself, and that 4l60e is making me nervous with 240.000kilometers on it..

Anywho, here is a link to a guy who drops it his driveway and fixes it with a step by step video. He has a lot of usefull DIY tahoe repairs/upgrades.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's home. I just moved it to the other side of the driveway and it seemed kinda "jerky". So I'm sure it's not good. K1ms thanks for the video! Makes it look doable. Doesn't look like it has to go as high as I thought. I have a motorcycle jack I'm sure I could lower it with. I have all the equipment and I'm big on using air powered tools too. Have steel ramps too but I may build some "dunnage" type wooden blocks just to be safe. May take me a while. I'm thinking I need to sell a lawn tractor in order to get the money to buy another tranny.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What REALLY chaps my hide is it only made it 7100 miles!
Damn. Thats no miles really. The guy i had do the 60e in my Silverado charged me 3000 out the door. 5 year 30k mile warranty if i remember right.
He did the th350 in my nova, my grandmothers olds Regency, and uncles plow truck E4OD. No problems with any of them and the Nova had been abused for 15 years lol.
I didnt have time to do my Silvy so he was the first and last call, period.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, never had anything like this happen to me before. Heck I had a neighbor that was a mechanic and rebuilt my Charger transmission years ago. It was better than new. I had a bad feeling about these guys when I checked the fluid right after we got it back and it was overfilled. Then I saw a drip and found the drain plug was loose! Called them, they apologized, blah, blah, blah, accidents happen, blah, blah.

silky28

Reaction score
I would say that by the sound of your age and condition dropping the transmission is probably beyond your abilities.

it is doable in a driveway though - I know I did it last December. Nothing terribly difficult about it but the top bell house nuts can be a pain until you figure out how to get them -2 feet of extensions + universal joints. The transmission is quite heavy and difficult to drop and raise though. The most annoying part for me was the number of bolts that snapped because of rust and refilling the transfer case

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's home. I just moved it to the other side of the driveway and it seemed kinda "jerky". So I'm sure it's not good. K1ms thanks for the video! Makes it look doable. Doesn't look like it has to go as high as I thought. I have a motorcycle jack I'm sure I could lower it with. I have all the equipment and I'm big on using air powered tools too. Have steel ramps too but I may build some "dunnage" type wooden blocks just to be safe. May take me a while. I'm thinking I need to sell a lawn tractor in order to get the money to buy another tranny.
There's more than one way to skin this rabbit. One option is to open it up and fix what is not right, close it up and soldier on. Another option is to completely rebuild it as if it was time for an overhaul. A third option is to drop in a new or reman replacement. GM used to sell them with 100K mile warranties which is covered nationwide. They still do with the 6-Speeds but not sure about the 4-speeds.

If yours were mine, I'd start on the first option and take it from there once it was opened up. I would also search my memory for what we originally brought it in for, did they even fix that? Did these guys just replace all the soft parts and none of the hard? Precision Transmission has at least a dozen videos of him tearing down your transmission and going through them piece by piece sharing his 30+ years of knowledge.

FYI, the website was cold to me and set of warning flags. Some web designer made it and didn't use any photos of the place or real people from the looks of it. No names or bios was a big red flag. I did not search out the reviews.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to read about your issue. There in nothing worse than spending hard-earned limited funds on something, only to find out that it was never fixed properly, or fixed, only to have a new issue appear shortly afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968