Idiots Are Everywhere!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I drove it a while before it started making the noise. I can't really describe it but when I put it in Park it made one loud metal to metal clink. Then it sounds kinda like a sliding rattle. It didn't make the loud clink again like yesterday. Yesterday it was continuous. Maybe it needs to be driven longer and made hotter. I couldn't get it jacked up to get under it because my house was invaded by family members and it was a cluster. So, I'm frustrated and gave up. I'll just let the mechanic do his thing tomorrow. At this point I've started drinking. Vodka on the Rocks tonight! Normally I'm a Bourbon guy but hey, love the one you're with right?

Could it be something minor like a bent heat shield or cooler line too close to something? Did they have to remove a part of the exhaust to R&R the trans?

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be something minor like a bent heat shield or cooler line too close to something? Did they have to remove a part of the exhaust to R&R the trans?
Yes, the exhaust has to be removed. It's not the cooler lines. I'm thinking it's something rotational/heat related. Only does it when it's good and hot.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only does it when it is hot then it could still be an exhaust component. I would let it warm up and then push/pull on the exhaust with a welding glove or pry bar and see if it stops.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only does it when it is hot then it could still be an exhaust component. I would let it warm up and then push/pull on the exhaust with a welding glove or pry bar and see if it stops.
Going back to the shop tomorrow where they have to pull the transmission to install the Rear Main Seal they forgot. We'll see what happens after that. I've asked the shop owner to give it a good listen while it's hot first.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to the shop tomorrow where they have to pull the transmission to install the Rear Main Seal they forgot. We'll see what happens after that. I've asked the shop owner to give it a good listen while it's hot first.
Good deal. Keep us posted. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooo, update on the Yukon. Transmission shop had it all day, and are keeping it. Our daughter has their "loaner" which she's not thrilled about because it's filthy. Anyways, they didn't evaluate the noise when they first got it. Says he didn't hear it. My guess is he let it cool down before it went on the rack. So they replaced the Rear Main Seal, examined the Flexplate under a light, and examined the pump. Put it together and as they were filling it that's when it started making the noise. So three guys there are baffled and the owner was on the hotline with a tech last I spoke with him. He mentioned running a pressure test and says it may be a pressure valve in the tranny bouncing back and forth. Wonderful.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean "again"? I'm beyond words at this point. SMH.:emotions122:
I feel ya man. Like anything else, one faulty part in a rebuild can cause a headache. Hell i did a 370 Lima big block Ford years ago for my uncle. Had all the machine work done by a friend that does 1000+ hp dragster engines so i knew that would be right.
I told my uncle i would prefer him ordering a gasket kit from Summit for a 460 as those are built more often and a kit for a 370 has probably been on the shelves for a bit. Nope, oriellys has it cheaper.
Got it all back together and in the F800... and it was ******* oil, like half a quart a minute. Rear main was stiff and not sealing. Ordered a rear main from summit, replaced all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968