Idle Stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put some ducktape on something...

:lol: just kidding

idk you got some weird stuff going on. it will be interesting what it turns out to be.

OP
OP

2001Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Went ahead and cleaned the MAF Sensor yesterday with CRC. Took it for a spin and everything went well.

That does not mean anything though. It could die again because the stalling problem is very random.

I was planning on also cleaning/inspecting the Trottle Body (AGAIN) and IAC valve. Figured I should narrow it down and see how the MAF Sensor cleaning reacts first.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

When I checked the Fuel Pump Relay the Relay was placed in the Electrical Box upside down. There are numbers printed on both the Fuel Pump Relay and the lid of the Electrical Box. Would an upside down Relay cause performance issues to the Fuel Pump and cause the Yukon to stall?

OP
OP

2001Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am 99% sure it is the alternator. All week I drove the Yukon and no stalls. I was only able to avoid the stall by running few electronics. Then to shut off the electronics as soon as I noticed the RPM's spiking. As soon as I turn on the heated seats, radio, heater, etc. the motor sputters and dies.

Is there anything electronic that it could be other than the alternator? What signs should I look for to confirm the alternator is almost dead? Testing equipment has shown it is good. WTF?

Last edited:
OP
OP

2001Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just took it up the road and the problem started up again. This time I made it all the way home and it stayed running. The Service Engine Soon light came on. This is the first time that the light has ever come on. So maybe now I can finally get a code out of the problem?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you go to a dealer or do you go elsewhere? There is actually a PCM calibration update to fix idle surge on 99-03 trucks. You need to get that done and clean the throttle body and your problem will go away.

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you check your EGR valve ? it could be stuck open causing exhaust smoke to come back into the engine while at idle causing the engine to jerk then stall

OP
OP

2001Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Still no luck finding what the real problem is for my Yukon. Filled it up with a higher octane gas and put a 2 cans of Sea Foam in the tank. There must be a cheap way to find the codes that the engine is throwing.

None of the auto parts stores have a computer smart enough to read the code. The auto repair shop wants $90 to diagnose the problem. In the meantime I will just keep tooling with it and try to narrow it down.

I've been thinking it has something to do with the alternator. Although every check of the alternator has been good.

So now I am going to go on the path of upgrades. Spending money on upgrading equipment on the truck might solve the problem. What is the next best upgrade to the truck that might solve the problem?

- - Dual exhaust muffler
- - New plugs and wires
- - Computer chip
- - K&N Cold Air Intake Kit

Which upgrade would any of you guys put on the truck and why? Which one is more likely to address the issue of the stalling issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts