Iffy On Towing a 32' Wellcraft CCF (~10k lbs), With My '99 2 Door...!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeanEboy

Reaction score
So, I live 15 miles from my office.. 10 miles are on a two lane highway, 40mph minimum. I have a '99 2 door, 5.7l, that has some sort of towing package, as it has a brake controller, and the welded universal hitch on the back.
I know the towing capacity is typically 6500lbs on these things...
The boat weighs ~9000, plus 1000 in motors, and it's an aluminum tri axle trailer... So, let's say the rig is 12,000 to be on the safe side. Am I an absolute nut to pull the boat home (once a year) with my truck? The trailer has surge brakes on it, I'm very confident in my driving skills with it on the back in general (I'm the only one who usually trailers it that 1x or 2x a year).
We pulled it here last year with a '95 Suburban, 1500.. And had absolutely no issues... So, I'm thinking of taking a shot with my Tahoe... I'm not looking to hit 55, I'm not looking to get anywhere near anybody else - drafting with a 32' boat is never a good idea.. Will my truck fall apart in pulling this thing?

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When in doubt...

I'd ask a friend with a dually. Lol.

OP
OP
S

SeanEboy

Reaction score
Tell me about it.. I only have whimpy Jeep friends.. I need more dually friends.. I was actually thinking of getting one myself for a bit - and hauling boats around to pay for the truck/gas...

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What rear end gears do you have ?.....that usually dictates towing capacity. I would do it in D3 , not overdrive.
No big deal if only 15 miles.

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
That is exceeding your tow rating by a quite an amount.
I would ask the local dealership to test drive a 1 ton truck for a couple of hours!:laughing1:

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once pulled my old Jimmy on a flatbed trailer 30 miles, at speeds up to 60mph, with no issues. That combination weighed in the neighborhood of 8000lbs. But I have a 4x4 4 door with 3.73 gears. Yours, being a 2 door, probably has the 3.42 rear, which I don't think is suitable for towing anything more than a couple thousand pounds, just not enough gear reduction to be helpful imo.

Many car rental agencies rent out trucks, in fact, u-haul rents out pickups just for this purpose. Rent a pickup (even a 1/2 ton) with insurance for the afternoon and tow worry free.:hands:

TAHOETIM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Surge brakes and all if you get in a tight spot it will push the Tahoe around. I would also worry about tongue weight. Mine has pulled a 27' camper before that weighed in at about 6500 and pulled it but was about as much as I would want to put on it.

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Draw the line at 10,000 with my 99 2 door 3.73 gears, NV4500 Manual Transmission, 12 K Hitch never exceeding 1000 lbs tongue weight.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ne44035