Ill be starting to replace rear suspension soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sentry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is where I have left off until I can get back out there in couple of days.

I still have to figure out something for the gas tank. I had no luck trying to siphon it out. Hoses were not long enough. Is there a hole Ill be able to access from the top of the tank?

I go the U Bolts off, were a little tight.

I did get one shock replaced. Anyone know any torque numbers on the bolts? I have Haynes and Chilton's, one says nothing. The other says finger tight on retainers. Since I ordered Nuts and Bolts for the top of the shock from LMC, I removed retainers. Looks pretty don't she?

I should be able to remove the hose here from the back of the tank to siphon the gas out right? If I have the tank off, should I clean it out? If it needs it I guess.... Probably best to leave it alone so I have less to repair...

There is defiantly not a lot of space to get to some of these bolts.... Whew, I hurt in a couple of places from playing contortionist...

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

The nuts for the shocks are lock nuts. Does that make a difference on putting torque on them?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Rear shocks: upper bolt, 13 ft lbs.--lower 74 ft. lbs. even if locknuts. You can not use the lines in the back of the tank as they don't go all the way down to the bottom of tank. Siphon from the filter connections if possible with an hose addded on or maybe even use the pump power to drain most of it. while it is out I personally would inspect it and clean as needed and put in a new pump body seal on the opening when reinstalling it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sentry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made some headway tonight.

I didn't actually take the Fuel tank off. I loosened it enough to get the bolt out.

I do have both leaf springs on the truck, still need to torque bolts and nuts. 70 ft. lbs. on the springs.

I also still need to torque the shocks upper and lower.

I used a pump siphon which sucked after five gallons and I actually pumped 5 gallons after the first 5, then I finished off with a shaker siphon. Much faster.

I am proud of myself for getting this far. Tomorrow, I am going to advanced auto to purchase some torque wrenches and washers... Hoping to have it back together tomorrow evening. Body is aching right now.

OP
OP
S

Sentry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot how much gas burns if it ends up on your nuts..... I remember now....

OP
OP
S

Sentry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea! Im done!

Its weird having the truck sit so high now. One more reason to remove the 4" BODY Lift.

I need to look into getting a full sized spare to match the other wheels. Someone told be once that would not be able to fit teh 31" tire where the spare goes. I did it last night with the help of my son. It fits...

Guess this is the proper stance with the lifted body.

OP
OP
S

Sentry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a little before and after with the trailer.

Before (Image is flipped)

After

I thank all of you who helped me accomplish my first real auto repair...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925