In Car WiFi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanls1

Reaction score
Does anyone have this new autonet that gm is putting in new cars. Apparently it gives you mobile wifi which is pretty cool. Im just wondering if anyone has it or has any info on it

UKNOWME8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i use a version hot spot plugged into the power port in my console and it never shuts off. way cheeped than what gm wants. and with the gm one you there is only one provider for it. but if you dont like the service you get with your hot spot you can switch to a different provider.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much does the after market one run? Internet cost a month?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I have sprint evo and it has hotspot wifi up to 8 people. turn it on and load up Pandora on the ipod. it's $30 more on top of my existing plan

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have verizon and I hear they are doing away with unlimited data. I currently user my phone and bluetooth to my stereo. Looking for a new option if they do away with unlimited data.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at the Autonet a while back, but their hardware and wifi plan prices are too high. Plus I didn't want to shlep a laptop into my truck just to get access to the net. So a nice iPad 2 with a ram mount was the perfect solution for me for the times I need to get on the net whilst in the truck.

I'm surprised there isn't a high end aftermarket double din unit with nav, all the bells and whistles, and that has internet browsing integrated ... or maybe there is such a thing and I haven't heard of it. Shoot, you could stream netflix movies in the dash, whilst parked of course. :)

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carputer, I have been wanting to do it for years just never have.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the Autonet a while back, but their hardware and wifi plan prices are too high. Plus I didn't want to shlep a laptop into my truck just to get access to the net. So a nice iPad 2 with a ram mount was the perfect solution for me for the times I need to get on the net whilst in the truck.

I'm surprised there isn't a high end aftermarket double din unit with nav, all the bells and whistles, and that has internet browsing integrated ... or maybe there is such a thing and I haven't heard of it. Shoot, you could stream netflix movies in the dash, whilst parked of course. :)

I have a double din pioneer nav and watch netflix all the time on roadtrips via the USB iphone cable. I did a mod to watch movies/dial calls/enter nav addresses while not in park that you can do on the pioneer screens. I also have my iphone 4 jailbroken on iOs 4.3.3 and have this Cydia app called 'TVOut' and it displays whatever is on the iphone on my DD. So I can browse the web and output it on the nav screen if i want. Also I have a 3G unlimited plan that's 30$ a month on AT&T and have the jailbroken Cydia app called MyWi 4.0 which allows me to make a WiFi hotspot out of my 3g connection for laptops/ipad's to connect in my car with unlimited people who can connect. Why have a wifi hotspot when your phone can be one for free?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still pissed I can't get netflix on my droid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925