Installing your LED Tails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im still throwing up the idea of just getting a set of led tails for my hoe which has barn doors. i have heard of peeps makin them fit and getting a certain pair that you dont need to mod to fit. anyone have led tails in there hoe/kon with barn doors RIGHT NOW. let me see some pix and how hard was it to mod if mods were needed?

No mods needed.

tahoe4.jpg

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my brother pointed out that my third brake light has a few leds out on it, anyone have experience with fixing that? or do i have to go and buy a whole new one?

No experience FIXING one but I'm soldering new LED bulbs together on a corner light as we speak, it can be done I guess is my point..its a pain in the ass just fyi and takes time..id just buy a new one on eslay

You'd need:
soldering gun for circuit boards (Radio Shack)
solder (Radio Shack)
heat gun (home depot has good ones)
2 large flat screwdrivers for prying apart the lense
patience....

BOSS

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
The loomed part of the harness is terminated with a plug just like the stock harness just goes under the yd to the stock plug location. I just hadn't seen LED tails with a complete wired harness yet. Sorry no pics of them lit up yet.

kim6-14-09229.jpg
kim6-14-09230.jpg
kim6-14-09226.jpg
kim6-14-09228.jpg

z3ro

Reaction score
I've been running these tails (made by Sonar) in my truck for months now with absolutely no issues at all.

I had the fast blink problem when I put in the front LED's and the resistors didn't fix it. I cut the pin on the flasher and the lights flash slightly faster than stock but not at warp speed like before.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Dang. I never would have guessed LED tails could cause so many different problems....

So once I upgrade my OEM tails to LED, I need to check the following:
1) fast blinkers
2) cruise control
3) remote start

Anything else?

Depends on the light. If you get the Sonar brand lights, everything is wired for true plug and play. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how nice the lights are and that they don't leak whatsoever.

yukonjacks

A Vegitative State
Reaction score
What happened to the barn door question? Can we get back on track? I'm trying to find out if there are any barn door tails or at the very least a mod to do an install

LordGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of having LED tails .. but what is holding me back from buying .. the fact that I have yet to find a full set that has AMBER indicators (blinkers).

I have an 02 Hoe .. and I like the amber and want to keep the amber .. so unless anyone knows of a company that has LED taillights that are white (reverse), red (brakes) and amber (indicators) .. I'll stay with what I have :(

OP
OP
tast101

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like mine being all red. Don't really care about having the amber blinker.

Which question YukonJacks, The ones with the reverse in the middle are the only drop in ones. Not too many people are down to start cutting up some tails. So the one that was posted in the other thread was the first I've seen about someone modding them to fit.

Yuk_Nali_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of having LED tails .. but what is holding me back from buying .. the fact that I have yet to find a full set that has AMBER indicators (blinkers).

I have an 02 Hoe .. and I like the amber and want to keep the amber .. so unless anyone knows of a company that has LED taillights that are white (reverse), red (brakes) and amber (indicators) .. I'll stay with what I have :(

Really?? I bought my LED tails so I could get rid of the amber..lol. Seriously though, I never understood amber on the rear, especially with red mirror signals.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I would not want Amber either, its old blinker style lol.
I do know IPCW has a model for my year with Amber turn signals....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou