Intermittent Loss Of Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUSTWUFN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yukon and have been experiencing periodic loss of sound. The radio will be working find and you shut off the ignition for a short while and when you power truck back up there is no sound. This happens about 25% of the time when you turn off the ignition switch. You never lose sound while driving, but it happens intermittently when you stop. I have a factory system with Bose speakers.

Any suggestions appreciated. My wife loves the vehicle since the radio LED panel denotes sound & artist.

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Dad's 2003 Tahoe had this happen to him recently, I hope someone has some experience. I'd like to know the solution.

OP
OP
J

JUSTWUFN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the best/easiest way to see if speaker is grounding out? Would the speaker that is possibly grounding out produce any sound, or would that speaker be dead even if other speakers/radio is working???

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just bought my 03 like two weeks ago and my sub doesn't work. today it's raining and when i got in it after work there was a bass sound when an amp clips on but still no bass then on the drive home i lost all sound but radio was still on. later on i got back into the truck now i have sound only coming from my rear doors. the whole time i've had the truck didn't have this problem only no bass. also the day i picked up the truck from the dealer it was raining hard so it kinda rules out the water. where is the bose amp for an 03 located?

htownac1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
got an 04 denaliXL and the bose amp is mounted next to the sub inside of the center console. You can get to the main harness if you pull out the cupholders in the center. Search for bose amp or sub on the forum and there are a few topics that cover this with some pics!

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've pulled out the cup holders and only see the plug for the harness nothing else

04gibbstahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best/easiest way to see if speaker is grounding out? Would the speaker that is possibly grounding out produce any sound, or would that speaker be dead even if other speakers/radio is working???

You will have to completely unplug the harness going to the speakers at the factory amp. This technique will not work with the harness at the head unit! Once the factory amp harness is unplugged use a test light or multimeter to test each speaker lead for ground. You do this by giving the red lead 12+ and touching each speaker wire with the black lead. If you get a voltage reading on a particular speaker wire then thats the speaker which is grounded out. Hope this helps.

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does this as well. mine only does it once every few months, and you can tell its about to happen bc when u put the keys in, the open door chime doesnt chime. on a few occasions, ive turned the key, no door chime, turned the key off, pulled the key out, put it back in, turned they key and the chimes starts and radio works. but i have no idea what causes it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy