Intermittent Loss Of Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoebigdog03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does this as well. mine only does it once every few months, and you can tell its about to happen bc when u put the keys in, the open door chime doesnt chime. on a few occasions, ive turned the key, no door chime, turned the key off, pulled the key out, put it back in, turned they key and the chimes starts and radio works. but i have no idea what causes it

X2 we need a sticky on this subject...please

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
Could a power relay be hanging up, or have corroded contacts?
Maybe sum1 handy w/a multimeter could spot check necessary supply voltages to see if any are missing when this symptom exists?

GeneralNoobzor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've pulled out the cup holders and only see the plug for the harness nothing else

There are two plugs. One under the cup holders you have access to. The other one is behind the cup holders for the passenger by the center console. You will need to dissamble your center console to get access to this. Fun little project. :) Pretty easy

(This is where the amp is)

sleighparker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would try checking the plug on the back of the head unit.
How do I get to the back of the head unit? I have the console all pulled apart (for the second time) to replace the amp. Which was not the problem apparently. Can I get to this plug w/o pulling apart the dash?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I get to the back of the head unit? I have the console all pulled apart (for the second time) to replace the amp. Which was not the problem apparently. Can I get to this plug w/o pulling apart the dash?
while I can understand the frustration of radio problems, you have to realize you are posting to threads that are 10 years old..... the radio is 20 years old, unless you were back there messing with something else I highly doubt the clipped in harness decided to come loose, more likely you have a internal radio issue that has developed over time, maybe it's time for a upgrade?
at any rate getting to the radio is very easy, park on a level surface, put the key in and turn to run, tilt the steering wheel down all the way, apply the brake and move the shift handle all the way down to 1st gear. then simply use your fingers pull out towards you on the trim piece that surrounds the cluster and radio, it pulls straight out and once you have all the clips loose you will need to pull the top forward a bit and lift it up the trim piece towards the passenger side a tiny bit, it will get hung up around the lower cluster area a little just pull up and towards you and it will come right off. then you will have access to the 7mm bolts to remove the radio.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
putting the trim piece back on is the reverse of above, shift lever must be in 1st gear, steering wheel tilted down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52