Intermittent passenger window control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this happen a couple of times - neither the passenger side switch nor the drivers side switch will roll the passenger window up or down.

Sometimes it goes longer than others - this last time, for about 30 minutes. Then after a couple of stops and starts, it miraculously rolled up (we were at a stop 30 minutes into a 2 hour freeway drive and needed it to go up).

I'm kind of thinking the issue is the driver's side switch - there's been a couple of times when it worked again after fiddling with that switch. I have no issues with any other window in the car.

But does this sound like it's the driver's side switch, the passenger side switch, or the passenger side window motor or the wires between?

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. If the problem affected only the passenger door switch yet you could raise & lower the window with the driver door switch, it would be easy to isolate the problem to the passenger door window switch. I had a similar scenario like this about a month ago and fixed it quickly and easily with a new switch for $20.

But since both switches are unable to actuate the same window intermittently, I'd guess it's the window regulator or the wiring.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only thinking about the switch is that I've noticed that if both switches are engaged at the same time, neither will work. And that a couple of times, me just fiddling with the driver side switch made it work again. I'll probably buy the driver side set of switches (5 switch block) and the regulator/motor and take back whichever doesn't work.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I had also recently had a few times where the door locks wouldn't work without pressing on the switch exactly right.

I ended up replacing the switch, which is the door locks along with all 4 windows. Worked right away and no issues so far. Only time will though, since it was intermittent to begin with anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DMCO

Latest posts