Intermittent rattling noise in engine left side right in front of driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Golfnut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe with about 150k miles on it. About at about 140k I started getting an infrequent rattling noise about every 2 to 3 weeks it will last for a couple minutes then go away. Shifting to neutral doesn't seem to help however if I turn off the engine for a few seconds and turn it back on it stops. Doesn't seem to be affecting engine power, gas mileage and I'm not leaking any fluids. Any ideas?

mares

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe with about 150k miles on it. About at about 140k I started getting an infrequent rattling noise about every 2 to 3 weeks it will last for a couple minutes then go away. Shifting to neutral doesn't seem to help however if I turn off the engine for a few seconds and turn it back on it stops. Doesn't seem to be affecting engine power, gas mileage and I'm not leaking any fluids. Any ideas?
I have a similar noise in 2005 Tahoe ! Have had it looked at when its up on rack for oil change / servicing, no one can see anything amiss. Seems to be on the right side, sounds like a cable vibrating, kind of tickety tick ....

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you give more info? Does it only happen while driving? Or when sitting still idling as well? It it clicking, pinging, squeaking, or rattling?

OP
OP
G

Golfnut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can you give more info? Does it only happen while driving? Or when sitting still idling as well? It it clicking, pinging, squeaking, or rattling?

It does happen when sitting and idling as well. It's a clicking sound.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be a lifter ticking. I have one doing that. Its been doing it off and on for about 9-10 frikkin years now. I have had several mechanic look at it ( listen to it really) and they all said that its nothing to worry about unless it gets worse. It sounds exactly the same as when I first noticed it.
But its more like a ticking or tapping sound, not exactly a clicking sound. I'm not saying you have a lifter ticking, but its a possibility.
Another possibility is that the alternator bearing are going out. I've heard alternators clicking before when they were going out.
If you can get a video of it, I can tell you if its the lifter ticking or not. I know exactly how the lifter ticking sounds.
And if you want to check the alternator, remove the belt and try spinning the alternator pulley by hand. It should spin very smooth and very freely with zero resistance. If you feel any resistance or even clicking, then that's definitely your culprit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM