inverting subs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calderb123

Reaction score
Kind of ran out of money and ideas to do to the hoe, so right now my question to you guys what are the benifits of inverting subs? I've litterally heard nothing about it before. So my questions to you guys are what are the pros and cons of doing this and if i did do it what what I actually need to do besides obviously turning my subs upside down.
thanks guys

Huck

Whut Thee Huck?!
Reaction score
Just make sure you remember that the wires will be visible. That's the big con to me, aside from the effort to build a custom enclosure. Make sure your sub can be mounted that way, though. Sound wise (if your sub can be mounted that way), I think you'll be ok, bass is omnidirectional, I'm thinking it would be similar to a bandpass. If you ran out of money, this might not be the way to go. lol.

Splatmaster527

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are really no benefits over just regular mounted subs...

You will have to take the sub volume out of the box size calculations
As mentioned above you would need to run the wires outside the box
And you will have a very awkward box to move around since the heavy mass of the sub will be hanging outside

Reaction score
If your gonna do it just make sure your subs are supposed to be played that way. Some subs are not invertable.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said above.. it makes the inside airspace a little greater.. if you were in a foot.. now youre in a 1.1 box.. some folks do it when building crazy (thin) fiberglass enclosures to keep the box flat and low profile.. or to display decorative magnet and basket designs.. but aside from adding a little tiny bit of airspace to the box... it should do nothing for sound volume or quliaty

GeneralNoobzor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inverting a sub is free air flow. More air space = lower tuning. I am nuts and tune almost all of my subs to around 20, but free air flow would tune it to around 20- depending on the type of the subwoofer. Any note under 20 htz is what you can't hear. I wouldn't do it unless the specs specifically say that you can play them via free air flow. Otherwise your subwoofer will blow pretty damn quick...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts