Is my front diff toast?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys chasing down some more strangeness.

Jacked up both the front tires and when I spin the passenger side wheel my front diff makes this sound?

Is it bad?

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive I will check that, is there any reason why it only makes the sound when turning the passenger side? The driver side sounds fine.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive I will check that, is there any reason why it only makes the sound when turning the passenger side? The driver side sounds fine.
The front is a open diff so only both wheels would spin if 4wd is engaged other than that I think only one side spins the gears inside
@George B might be able to provide more insight. To check that fluid just unscrew the fill cap and stick your finger in there the fluid should be full up.to the fill hole, but it sounds dry to me, has it been leaking?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The passenger side is the disconnect side. I would have expected noise from the driver side. I would investigate this. There might be something wrong in there. Is there any end play in the axle stub the CV bolts to? Like, can it slide in and out a bit? Does the sound change if you turn the steering slightly?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone send me the link to the video that shows you how to take the CV shaft stubs out so that I can disconnect the front diff?

I found a bad ball joint so this weekend I’m going to be removing the lift from the Tahoe and removing the CV axles too and just running it 2wd for now. I don’t have the time to swap a front diff right now.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The stub shafts have cir clips on the ends and they get off centered over time and can be a b*i*t*c*h to get popped out of there. May break them getting them out. I have broke them before. The key to reassembly is to use a thick enough grease to center up the new cir clips, or old cir clips if you get lucky and do not break them, and the grease will help hold them centered and make it easier to reinstall. Of course replace the seals while apart.