Is This Camshaft Reusable? Or Too Pitted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine the parts of the cam that contact the bearing are even worse.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Here's the pic. And video of me rolling it.
After looking at the lifter I would replace cam but doing that all lifters should be replaced then after that you have to wonder about doing a complete VVT delete.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After looking at the lifter I would replace cam but doing that all lifters should be replaced then after that you have to wonder about doing a complete VVT delete.
All that’s left is the radiator, water pump and timing cover at that point. Maybe another hour of disassembly (only one or two beers) since you had to drain the coolant to get the heads off anyway. Granted, there is an escalating parts cost and I don’t know your finances, but the smart money in the long term is with new lifters, OEM trays, and a good sleeper cam for durability.

I’m really happy with my setup since I did the DoD delete back in 2021. I have to remember to keep my foot out of it or passengers get whiplash pulling away from a light.

Also, I’m always happy to help others spend their money.

OP
OP
J

jmo2610

Reaction score
Well yeah. If I'm taking the cam out, then I'm doing the whole delete. I just don't want to take the cam out. :Big Laugh: :sad72:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yeah. If I'm taking the cam out, then I'm doing the whole delete. I just don't want to take the cam out. :Big Laugh: :sad72:
Yup, I totally get it. All we can do is answer your questions to the best of our knowledge and share what we would do in the same situation (most of us have been there. I have 3x now, but that's another story). But it's your time and money so you get to decide what's best for your circumstances. Happy to help with whatever I can as you go.

OP
OP
J

jmo2610

Reaction score
Okay so the local-ish shop that sells DOD Delete kits said there's a nationwide shortage in the 6.2 stock non-DOD cams (he's right, I can't find them anywhere online), and he said it's fine to put a 5.3 cam in. Do you guys agree with that?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay so the local-ish shop that sells DOD Delete kits said there's a nationwide shortage in the 6.2 stock non-DOD cams (he's right, I can't find them anywhere online), and he said it's fine to put a 5.3 cam in. Do you guys agree with that?
Will it run? Yes. Will that 5.3 cam take advantage of the rectangular port high flowing heads? Nope. You’ll lose power.

I played this game a few years ago. The reason I picked the cam motion stage two truck cam, is because it’s ground specifically for the 6.2. It’s non-VVT, but it is an absolute beast, with a smooth idle, so it plays nice with a stock converter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyBosnian