Is this frame too late to save ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Five3brian

Five3brian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
^this that stuff adds up probably trans lines too

Geez....that looks rough. I see nothing but a long list of repairs, replacements, cuss words, and disappointment with it. I'd just drive it like it is and save up some money. Then, schedule a vacation to a southern or western location to find a clean replacement that you can start with a clean slate from.
Yeah that was my concern smh, i’ll probably just save for a ‘15 6.2 yukon/escalade or ‘14 srt cherokee

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that was my concern smh, i’ll probably just save for a ‘15 6.2 yukon/escalade or ‘14 srt cherokee
That sounds like a good plan. I've had good luck over the last 13 years of going down south, southwest, or WAY out west to buy Yukon Denali's (5 total). They do require a little more research up front to try and get the best feel possible for what you are looking for, but I've had good luck with 4 of 5.

Then, with 2 gallons of fluid film, some grubby clothes, a beverage of choice, and your favorite tunes blasting - you are all set to double the life of the vehicle in the midwest. Couple that with some good preventative maintenance and you have a nice, new to you, vehicle for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

OP
OP
Five3brian

Five3brian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That sounds like a good plan. I've had good luck over the last 13 years of going down south, southwest, or WAY out west to buy Yukon Denali's (5 total). They do require a little more research up front to try and get the best feel possible for what you are looking for, but I've had good luck with 4 of 5.

Then, with 2 gallons of fluid film, some grubby clothes, a beverage of choice, and your favorite tunes blasting - you are all set to double the life of the vehicle in the midwest. Couple that with some good preventative maintenance and you have a nice, new to you, vehicle for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
Hell yeah, gonna do that with the next one I get! Just have to pay on this one for a bit longer…

Last edited:

hillstrubl

Reaction score
I'd try to save it. I really like saltsgone for a good cleaning. Then some Ospho or naval jelly, literally paint it everywhere, try to get in the cracks/holes, then saltsgone again (+ this is fantastic). Let dry for a full day or more. Then I'd POR15/Eastman frame paint it, the latter sells a long tube 6 way nozzle to get inside the frame rails. Let dry for several hours, then fluid film everything. It goes to say, take off as many heat shields and plastic dust shields before you do this.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

I plan on a new to me GMT800 3/4 ton truck soon. Then my no rust GMT800 Z71 is for sale. No rust here in Oregon. See my build thread, anyone, for what was done and lots of pics.

OP
OP
Five3brian

Five3brian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

I plan on a new to me GMT800 3/4 ton truck soon. Then my no rust GMT800 Z71 is for sale. No rust here in Oregon. See my build thread, anyone, for what was done and lots of pics.
Will definitely be going through your posts!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try to save it. I really like saltsgone for a good cleaning. Then some Ospho or naval jelly, literally paint it everywhere, try to get in the cracks/holes, then saltsgone again (+ this is fantastic). Let dry for a full day or more. Then I'd POR15/Eastman frame paint it, the latter sells a long tube 6 way nozzle to get inside the frame rails. Let dry for several hours, then fluid film everything. It goes to say, take off as many heat shields and plastic dust shields before you do this.
Wow! That's some interesting stuff. What's you experience with it? How does it work long term for salt covered vehicles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malachismith

Latest posts