Is this frame too late to save ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coveman

Reaction score
That isn’t extraordinary rust. It looks like mine did before i cleaned it up, now it’s more of a keep it up project.

Yours also looks like it had been undercoated at some point, and when the undercoat starts failing it holds water against the frame and its off to the races for the rust.

I use salt away at the end of salt season and rinse the undercarriage every time I wash it. I use a gutter cleaning wand so i can rinse the undercarriage thoroughly (some guys use lawn sprinklers or steel pipes with holes to wash the undercarriage too)

Its a bit tedious rust busting, converting, priming and painting so i did smaller sections as I had time. Ill have to wait for my next fuel pump failure to drop the tanks and get that area up to speed, for now it just has a fluid film lanolin coating on it.

I noticed the gmt900s I have seen have corrosion in the engine compartment, so I gave it the same treatment and added splash curtains to the inside of the wheel wells (hmm, the gmt400s had the curtains, pretty sure gm wants our trucks to rust faster) That has made a big difference in reducing the mess sloppy roads do.

Our trucks have unpainted steel, aluminum and magnesium which leads to galvanic corrosion so if you can’t keep it dry it needs some kind of protection.

Attachments

• IMG_0802.jpeg
    IMG_0802.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0810.jpeg
    IMG_0810.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0812.jpeg
    IMG_0812.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 9

Coveman

Reaction score
BTW, that spare tire and carrier was a mess, I unbolted all that and went to town!

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0819.jpeg
    IMG_0819.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 5

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @vcode in that the rest of the truck will be next. I applaud the effort shown here by @Coveman as well. I, however, will run away from that project because I know how much other metal there is that is just itching to piss me off with rust bubbles......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malachismith