Jon Caveman's 2015 Tahoe LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bloomfield, NJ * Lewes Beach, DE * Buenos Aires
When we replaced a manifold gasket last week, we found that the driver's side exhaust manifold is bent, so still leaking. That was the perfect excuse to install long tube headers, so I started looking for a shop to do that work (I do not have nearly enough time for a job like that myself). It turned out to be a huge pain in the ass to find a shop who wanted to do that work.

Eventually I punted and yesterday I just ordered shorty Flowtech headers from Summit Racing, along with some heavy duty rear springs (my current springs are sagging a bit) and a aFe Momentum GT Pro intake. I plan to install all of these things myself when I'm back east. Then I'll get a tune from Black Bear.

shorty headers.jpg
aFe Momentum GT Pro.jpg
springs.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
When we replaced a manifold gasket last week, we found that the driver's side exhaust manifold is bent, so still leaking. That was the perfect excuse to install long tube headers, so I started looking for a shop to do that work (I do not have nearly enough time for a job like that myself). It turned out to be a huge pain in the ass to find a shop who wanted to do that work.

Eventually I punted and yesterday I just ordered shorty Flowtech headers from Summit Racing, along with some heavy duty rear springs (my current springs are sagging a bit) and a aFe Momentum GT Pro intake. I plan to install all of these things myself when I'm back east. Then I'll get a tune from Black Bear.

View attachment 435736
View attachment 435737
View attachment 435738
Curious--why shorties instead of long tubes?

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bloomfield, NJ * Lewes Beach, DE * Buenos Aires
Curious--why shorties instead of long tubes?

All of the long tubes I looked at required at least minimal modification to make them fit. I was having trouble finding a shop that could/wanted to do it on my tight timeline. The shorties are a direct bolt-in and should take far less time to install, so I will try to make that time to do it myself (along with the springs and the air intake).

I also bought a bunch of 3.5" 304 stainless tubing and dual Valvetronic mufflers with the intent on building myself a custom dual catback exhaust, but my time is running low and the wife is not happy at the moment. We leave for India on September 06 and too much to do before then.

Also, I'm losing my garage at the end of August. I've been modifying my trailer to be a mobile workshop, but I've also been looking to find some garage space to rent. o_O No luck yet

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm in Miami all week, but when I get back to Jersey, I'm installing those heavy duty rear springs lol. Also going to install the shorty headers. Then I'm taking the trailer out to Missouri to pick up my new-to-me MG Midget.

In the mean time, check out this silly looking squat lol
View attachment 437555
Maybe instead of rear springs try some rear helper bags in those springs.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Whoa, I didn't know that was a thing! DO you have any that you recommend? That just adds support, right? Do you know what the effect is on the ride?
Sorry, can't help with that. I just recommended because a lot of guys who tow--TYF--use them with good results. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. @89Suburban

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryme