Leaking rear glass strut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluBrett

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Tahoe's rear glass' strut has been leaking for about a year now. They were both replaced due to an accident in 2005, and the car was at about 45K miles then. Now, at 65K miles, it's getting really bad. Here's a few weeks' worth of leakage:

001-14.gif

The car is very dusty here, haha. But anyways, can anyone tell me how to replace this? It's really frustrating that this stuff constantly leaks down my rear hatch. Also, it's strange that the struts still hold the glass up perfectly. I guess they're just pretty strong.

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gas struts are about as simple to replace, actually more simple sometimes, than chaning a light bulb. run to auto zone, spend 15-20 bucks for a new one and snap it into place. If it is super confusing to you, just get the little teeny bopper at the store to help you. They all pretty much snap on and off the same. no reason to live with it for that long.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well regardless of the mileage, the struts are 6 years old, and the seals are going to get weak. Like anything else on most cars, the OEM stuff will last for decades and the replacement parts; not so much.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they were replaced in an accident, they probably used cheap aftermarket struts. Go buy the good GM ones from a dealer and they'll last. My 02 Trailblazer (107k miles) and my mom's 05 Tahoe (104k miles) both still have the factory struts for the liftgate itself and the glass.

OP
OP
B

BluBrett

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was looking at my glass struts and they're both made by Stabilus. Maybe this is normal, but the one on the passenger side says "LH" and the one on the driver's side says "RH"?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they're Stabilus, then they are the factory struts. I've never seen one leak like that though.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
some look at it as if your looking at your grill, instead of looking at taillights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuchie_goddess