LED aux lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to add some aux. lighting to my suburban for some time now. After checking out all my options I decided that LED was the way to go for me. Not wanting to put a front bar on my suburban and not having the spare funds yet for an A.D.D. bumper I went with a bar that would fit nicely in the space I had chosen. I mounted it behind the lower grill opening, but had to work with the mounting hardware for the heat exchanger for my TVS1900, and I did not want to block airflow to it. I ended up with a 20" dual row LED lightbar, you can easily fit a 30" bar in this spot, but due to what I mentioned above I was stuck to a 20" max.
All I can say is that this light is insanely bright and only draws 8 amps. I currently have it wired to come on only with the highbeams, by utilizing a spliter I had previously purchased from The Retrofit Source. There are 40 3watt high intensity Epsitar leds so it is considered just a 120watt light...LoL!! The housing is made of aluminum and the back is completely finned to disipate heat, lense is polycarbonite so minimal worries of breaking lenses. I also got a pair of 4 bulb units that will be used as reverse lights and rear lighting for when I am hooking up trailers or whatever, but I have not installed them yet...possibly tomorrow. Well on to the pics...

2013-03-25_091942_zps66759a66.jpg
2013-03-25_091927_zps9806e92a.jpg
2013-03-25_091954_zps90c5ea07.jpg

The following pic is just low beams which are 35watt 6K hids.

2013-03-19_195552_zpsf5d12ed9.jpg

This next pic is the same low beams as previous with the addition of the LED lightbar(high beams were unplugged)

2013-03-19_195541_zps66edfab0.jpg

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks bright!

info on where to purchase?

karlh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I am new here so I can't send any PM's but I would be interested in the particulars of the project. I am interested because I spend a fair amount of time on rural roads and want to avoid deer strikes.

Thanks,
Karl

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you wired these to your high beam signal through a splitter?

If so I hope your stalk trigger finger is fast cause if any oncoming driver sees these they are likely to experience temp blindness. Would have been much wiser to wire these to your fog switch so you can have them independent of your street legal setup. Not only that, but there are occasions that may require one to flash one's high beams during the day.

Don't get me wrong, I love the setup, in fact I've considered the exact same location for the new BD OnX myself ... but as you probably know, in the case of these light bars when BD or Rigid say 'off road' they actually mean off road, and not as a PnP kit seller would say it just for ass covering. And as you also now know these things are way too bright to inflict on another unexpecting driver.

ITD, in many ways you were the one to start me on the road to understanding lighting, and I'm very cognizant and appreciative of this, I guess that's why I'm a little surprised/disappointed that you wired them this way. I'm just gonna leave the low beam PnP kit alone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
InTruckDesign

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
soulsea, the pnp kit is temporary as I had to take my retro/miniH1's out for some rehab and changes...As far as how I wired the lightbar that too has changed after my last post, I have added a switch so I can override it and just have normal highbeams and can add the LED bar to the mix when I am truly out in the sticks and offroad.
I like your idea on the fog light switch, but I run 3k 25w hids in them and use them as dedicated fog lights...I think I have my lighting option complete..for now!

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dedicated/override switch is the way to go. :love51:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No Life Jr