Shocks for a plusher ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Ahhh ok that makes sense. I was very impressed with the overall quality of the 9k. The factory ones are garbage. These felt nicer and look much better once installed - at the price they are even better. I will be updating my 3500 thread as I put some miles on them but I agree with you that I would not have bought the lower end Ranchos just simply as they looked like “basic” replacements. If replacing, replace with something better than factory.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 9000'S may be a better build quality than what gm used for oem, but I personally have never been impressed with them, many find them to be too stiff and gm already has a reputation for the oem shocks going bad and causing a rough ride, putting rancho's on them is like icing on the cake.
I will throw Rancho under the bus for my durability concerns every day of the week but the 9000XLs ride smooth AF.

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
I will throw Rancho under the bus for my durability concerns every day of the week but the 9000XLs ride smooth AF.
I agree so far. Had them set to a 1 just to see how “soft” they could go… it was literally like being on a boat to the point it felt unsteady. Both front and rears at 5 and it’s real nice.

TxVet33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I just replaced my factory shocks on my 2018 (70k-ish miles) and 3 of the 4 shocks were toast. Similar ride to what you described.
I agree that the shocks don’t look bad visually but neither did mine. When I took them off the rears were basically frozen and the front puked oil all over me when I removed them.

I went with Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. Probably will never change them but I have the ability to do so. Find the RockAuto discount codes that are posted here and order a set ($350 or something). I almost guarantee it’s the shocks.
When I purchased my XL SLT it had 18" tires and original {looked original} shocks. I bought some 20" Wheels/Tires {Pirelli Scorpions} & put new Rancho 9000's on the rear, much better ride and quieter tires. Getting ready to do the front shocks...

Attachments

• Rancho Adjustable Shocks Purchase Dec 2022.jpg
    Rancho Adjustable Shocks Purchase Dec 2022.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 1

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
When I purchased my XL SLT it had 18" tires and original {looked original} shocks. I bought some 20" Wheels/Tires {Pirelli Scorpions} & put new Rancho 9000's on the rear, much better ride and quieter tires. Getting ready to do the front shocks...
Check RockAuto before you buy. There are discount codes posted by several members on here too. They are hard to beat cost wise.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put passive Arnott struts and shocks all the way around my 16 Denali XL…the original front struts had locked up….the Arnotts are INCREDIBLE in terms of ride and seem to get better as they get a few more miles on them (likely the springs setting in). I highly recommend the Arnotts to replace/get rid of magneride struts/shocks…plug and play! The cheapest place to get them is through Rockauto.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buukum