LED lights for under hood lighting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
For you guys that have played around with LEDs before...

Do you think it would work to wire up some LEDs in the engine compartment to serve as the under hood light? I think its tardy that there's no light under the hood. GM could have kept the ash-tray and given me a light.

I saw where somebody here had wired up one for illuminating the cup holder/console and thought it might work to strategically place some in the hood liner and a few places on the sides. Do you think it would light up enough to see, or just glow? I'm thinking 10-15 so in the hood liner, following the outer shape and a half a dozen on the side panels.
I'm thinking maybe the wired 5mm white LEDs. I found some online that were 16000 - 18000MCD.

At any rate, it may be a hair brian idea. If I am going to have to buy and install my own light i thought I'd try something different.

Any opinions are appreciated.

BH

alxs210

Reaction score
For you guys that have played around with LEDs before...

Do you think it would work to wire up some LEDs in the engine compartment to serve as the under hood light? I think its tardy that there's no light under the hood. GM could have kept the ash-tray and given me a light.

I saw where somebody here had wired up one for illuminating the cup holder/console and thought it might work to strategically place some in the hood liner and a few places on the sides. Do you think it would light up enough to see, or just glow? I'm thinking 10-15 so in the hood liner, following the outer shape and a half a dozen on the side panels.
I'm thinking maybe the wired 5mm white LEDs. I found some online that were 16000 - 18000MCD.

At any rate, it may be a hair brian idea. If I am going to have to buy and install my own light i thought I'd try something different.

Any opinions are appreciated.

BH

Theres a light under my hood..

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
02' was the last year for the under hood light. Apparently they needed another snack machine at one of the GM plants so they did away with it.

HD hood looks killer by the way.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I to think it is retarded for them (GM) not to install an engine compartment light, I have a 2005 LS, it seems pretty lame having a $42,000.00 vehicle with no light under the hood. I have toyed with the idea of a led also but no decision as of yet.

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
I'll go get a couple from Frye's and just hook them up and see what it does. If two do OK, then 15 should work!

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not just buy the gm kit for the light under the hood?

OP
OP
bahollis

bahollis

Lead Foot
Reaction score
why not just buy the gm kit for the light under the hood?

The fallback to the GM light is it mounts on the driver's side on the hood. That's great if you are checking fuses or brake fluid. Or, I could buy two kits and mount them. (yawn) I mean, I have a flashlight... so light's really not the issue. I wanted to try something different. That's what modding is all about. But if it's just going to glow like an LED keychain light I'd pass.

BH

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fallback to the GM light is it mounts on the driver's side on the hood. That's great if you are checking fuses or brake fluid. Or, I could buy two kits and mount them. (yawn) I mean, I have a flashlight... so light's really not the issue. I wanted to try something different. That's what modding is all about. But if it's just going to glow like an LED keychain light I'd pass.

BH

ahhh, i got ya.

what about doing 2 license plate lights on each side with led wedge bulbs in each one? that would probably be pretty bright.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES