Melted mega fuse holder near positive battery post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a long road trip, taking daughter to college. Within a few miles of final destination tonight, smell burning rubber. Turns out the load side bolt on the mega fuse holder was loose, thereby causing arcing at that connection and generating a lot of heat. It melted the red cover, but more importantly, damaged the plastic holder so the head of that bolt is no longer captured, making it hard to tighten. I did eventually get it to torque down using a wrench on the back side where the head should be socketed into the plastic. Of course I will need to replace this piece but I don’t think I’d be able to get it on the road? Is that going to be a dealer part? I’ve looked briefly on RA and Google, not finding it yet. I think what I’ve done will get me home, but just checking if there’s any input.

At first I thought I blew the mega fuse, there is some visible damage. But everything seems to be doing fine now. I will buy one before my wife and I head home to have with me just in case.

IMG_5934.jpegIMG_5941.jpegIMG_5939.jpeg

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it comes with the battery cable. #22790285. Need to verify with your trucks options though. They're probably plentiful in junkyard.
1000005130.jpg

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it comes with the battery cable. #22790285. Need to verify with your trucks options though. They're probably plentiful in junkyard.
View attachment 438631
Cool, thanks for finding that! I’ll just get the whole new cable. Pick-n-pull around here doesn’t have any NNBS yet. NBS is about as new as I’ve seen.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for finding that! I’ll just get the whole new cable. Pick-n-pull around here doesn’t have any NNBS yet. NBS is about as new as I’ve seen.
that bolt shouldn't be just "loose" it could have got hot and melted some therefore making it loose...
might want to poke around with a meter on the grounds and see if one or more are high ohm's just to be on the safe side.
theoretically though the fuse should have blown versus melting the connector......still could be a high ohm situation
the starter cables/ground is often a culprit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmarRa