LED Makeover (Several pics.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diffrnt

Say...What!
Reaction score
Ok guys, here is my led makeover. Was it a pita, yes. Was it tedious, yes. Was it worth it, Hell Yes! I actually did the write up to complement a led install that is on gmfullsize. That's where I got my idea to change over to leds. I tried to show how I wired up the leds and the resistors (clicking on the pics, makes them huge). I made the dash light up blue and the window switches light up white. Even though some of the pics don't show this correctly. I used all super white 5mm leds with 470 ohm resistors. I made them show blue with either blue painters tape or blue model paint. If there are questions, just let me know and I’ll try to answer them as best as I can. Just wanted to give something back to this great forum!

This is the driver side window and lock switch. I added aluminum foil to the top of the light channels to focus more light through the channel.

Finished product.

Passenger side switch.

Finished product.

Rear window switch.

Finshed product.

4wd switch.

Rear window washer and fog light switch.

HVAC.

Rear HVAC.

Some finished pics.

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
X-tremely nice work! I'm getting ready to purchase myself a soldering iron from Muller and get to purchasing some LEDs and Resistors and give this a shot. Been watching videos on soldering and think I'm ready to give it a shot. Was removing the old lights difficult?

OP
OP
diffrnt

diffrnt

Say...What!
Reaction score
X-tremely nice work! I'm getting ready to purchase myself a soldering iron from Muller and get to purchasing some LEDs and Resistors and give this a shot. Been watching videos on soldering and think I'm ready to give it a shot. Was removing the old lights difficult?

I had to break the bulbs and pull out the wires that were left behind on most of the switches. The AC controls are able to be desoldered, which makes it easier to get the bulbs out. Do what I did and start with the window switches, in fact start with the rear window switches, they are the easiest. Don't rush and do one switch at a time, no matter how long it takes.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
badass! We did all mine in Red LEDs. Came out really nice!

If anyone is looking for someone to do the swap, send TOOTALL on GMFS.com a PM. He did mine. Takes some time, but well worth the wait.

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blue leds for gauge lights

anyone use blue leds for their gauge lights? My needles are really dim now, i was wondering if my needles are just sun bleached or the blue lighting doesnt react to the orange? Any one have this problem or any recomendations on making the needles brighter orange while mainting the blue gauges. thanks