Lift ?'s for the new guy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at possibly getting a lift or level kit for the 2002 LT Tahoe I recently picked up. What issues are there (if any) with having the Autoride? Are you guys dropping a lot in MPG with even just a couple sizes larger tire?

Thanks for any tips or advice...

OP
OP
M

Moose7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm thinking I would go just a slightly taller tire and it is a 4x4. I don't know how tall but I think 4'' could even be to tall for what I'm planning on using it on. So let me describe what my uses are for it.

I will be using this for a weekend commuter of around 300 miles round trip. That's why I would like a little better mileage. On some of these weekends I will be using it offroad for camping and scouting for hunting. I'll sleep in the back with the seats down. But with the running boards and the stock height I'm worried about some road obsticles. A little more clearence would be perfect. To high and I won't fit it in my garage.

Thanks again for any advice...

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run some keys up front and spacers on the rear, won't cost a ton and work well together, then through up to 33" tires on it

OP
OP
M

Moose7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
dwmmatt23, Key and spacers is what I've been researching but, my 2002 Tahoe is the Autoride... Am I going to have to change out shocks to do this?

Thanks!

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with that small of a lift the auto ride should be fine.. personally i think the system is Cr*p but that personal.. FYI i have a 6" and 35s and non z71 roof rack and i have a 4 panel standard garage and i have 1/4" clearance.. it is tight but it fits in the garage still.

If you are only going up couple inches and 33s you can ditch the running boards and gain 2' of skirt height.. as long as you have long legs.. I am 6'1" and i hardly use my boards..

a pair or Power steps would give more clearance also but they are pricy...

my 2 cents

OP
OP
M

Moose7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good info there... With your best summary what would it take to drop the autoride and go with regular shocks? What other mods would that take.

Thanks again for you patience with the new guy. I'm trying to do research on my own but it's hard to do so... at work! :)

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple way... Put resistors on the wires running to the elect shocks to fool the system into thinking the Autoride is there and put better shocks on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuchie_goddess