Light bar inside behind windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you going to get that mirror bracket off the glass without breaking it? I used to do auto glass and we used alcohol, lit on fire. But that was with the windshield laid flat on a bench so you could put a big pool of it on there and add more if needed. It takes a lot of heat.

Had a chain break and shatter my windshield couple weeks ago and haven't replaced it yet. I will leave mirror bracket in place for now and when I replace the windshield I will have him glue it on a inch lower

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a chain break and shatter my windshield couple weeks ago and haven't replaced it yet. I will leave mirror bracket in place for now and when I replace the windshield I will have him glue it on a inch lower
Perfect timing for an accident I guess if there’s a good side to it you found it!

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brackets started both look like this other one is just opposite. Still gotta weld bend on light bar end then grind drill and paint. Will get better pics when they are done. Got distracted with other things so didn't have alot of time for this yet.IMG_20210326_193708690.jpg IMG_20210326_193719191.jpg

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the light bar is flush against the windsheild, with a soft cushion so it doesn't rub. Otherwise when you turn it on it will reflect back into the truck and you will probably be blinded by the intense light. I say this out of experience. The closer the light is to the windsheild the less the reflection or kick back from the lightbar. It's hard to drive or navigate when your..."Blinded by the light! Wrapped up like a deuce..." Manfred Mann "Blinded by the Light" reference. Pretty sad, eh? Have a greta weekend! Aloha!!

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the light bar is flush against the windsheild, with a soft cushion so it doesn't rub. Otherwise when you turn it on it will reflect back into the truck and you will probably be blinded by the intense light. I say this out of experience. The closer the light is to the windsheild the less the reflection or kick back from the lightbar. It's hard to drive or navigate when your..."Blinded by the light! Wrapped up like a deuce..." Manfred Mann "Blinded by the Light" reference. Pretty sad, eh? Have a greta weekend! Aloha!!

After I make the brackets I am making a shroud out of 18 gauge that will go around the sides and bottom of the light bar. I will put a seal like a car trunk seals along the front of the shroud where it meets windshield and I got half inch foam tape to go around light bar to seal any gaps between light bar and roof or light bar and shroud. So there should be very little light coming inside

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, if your light generates a lot of heat you may want to adjust the distance from the windsheild. Most light bars are made to be installed outside the vehicle, so heat isn't a concern. The light bars I've seen are really bright LEDs which don't heat up as much, so just beware. And that's experience talking. You don't want to warp the dashboard or scorch the headliner. As Homer says, "DUH!!" Aloha!

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, if your light generates a lot of heat you may want to adjust the distance from the windsheild. Most light bars are made to be installed outside the vehicle, so heat isn't a concern. The light bars I've seen are really bright LEDs which don't heat up as much, so just beware. And that's experience talking. You don't want to warp the dashboard or scorch the headliner. As Homer says, "DUH!!" Aloha!

Idk how much heat this specific light bar will give off but most don't get to hot. I will keep an eye on it see what it does

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got busy putting reverse lights in burban rear bumper and cargo light on the dodges rack. Only thing I did to this project is got brackets bent little better so they fit right and drilled the holes for the visor screws and wire. Trimmed edge of visor mounts to clear brackets and did a test fit I gotta move the screw holes for the bar down about .25 inch and back about .375 so it will be able to be adjusted more. Hopefully tomorrow I can focus on it and finish the mounts then I can make the shroud and wire it. It felt very solid so I'm happy with how it's turning out so far. It's tipped down right now which is why I gotta move screw holes so it can get adjusted up.

IMG_20210327_215108235.jpg IMG_20210327_215048703.jpg IMG_20210327_215352002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx