Lights flickering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed now that my lights will flicker when I am sitting still.

I will rev the engine to about 1k then the lights will not flicker at all. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if it could be caused by my HID lights?

Thanks guys

OP
OP
mattah

mattah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which lights? Your low beam HID headlights or the interior dome lights?

My dome lights, speedo light, ac button lights, window switch light, steering wheel control lights, license plate light, Pretty much everything but the Tail lights and the Hid lights.

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure but could this be an alternator issue?

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mattah,

Alternator is a possibility. Are there any electrical modifications on the vehicle?

Louis
GM Customer Service

tmac82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Old thread I know but I wanted to help shed some light on this, something I just found out tonight. I've been dealing with a similar issue for YEARS on my 07 Yukon XL SLT. Have had the alternator changed twice because of it. All lights would randomly flicker at idle or sometimes driving with no rhyme or reason. Try wiggling the small wiring harness on the back of the alternator, left of the power lead. I was able to replicate the trouble by doing so and unplugging the harness got rid of the flickering lights. Must be tied to the BCM because when you disconnect it the "service battery charging system" warning appears on the dash. This has been driving me crazy for years so wanted to share in case it helps someone else. Haven't yet come across the fix - the two small wires disappear into a large wire loom and not sure how easy it would be to cut the old plug off and put a new one on. Anyone else had to deal with this?

gtp1500

Reaction score
I'm going to check my wiring, I've got the same issue I watched my torque app and most of the time when charging 14.5 its pulsating. revving up the engine doesn't seem to change the pulsation either.
I hate to buy a new alternator when this one does charge but I guess if the v regulator is iffy it could still put out.

gtp1500

Reaction score
Flickering big time, got home and idling it went to solid 14v and lights were nice and solid but 30 seconds back to pulsating.

Screenshot_2016-03-25-20-39-03~2.jpg

tmac82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to check my wiring, I've got the same issue I watched my torque app and most of the time when charging 14.5 its pulsating. revving up the engine doesn't seem to change the pulsation either.
I hate to buy a new alternator when this one does charge but I guess if the v regulator is iffy it could still put out.
Did you try unplugging the wire that runs to the BCM? I replaced the alternator twice over the last few years before discovering this and would hate for others to go through the same waste of time and money.

gtp1500

Reaction score
The only thing I did was undo the plug to the alternator last night.

Was your plug bad or just needed wiggled?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salty Crusty