Locked Up - Won't Move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawmkw1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 97 Tahoe 4x4 with 180K miles on it that I have only had for about 6 months. Today, I put it in gear and started down the driveway and it locked up, like I had thrown it in park while moving. It will go into Drive and Reverse, I can feel it engage, but will not move. I can give it some gas and it feels like the brakes are on, engine lifts, it wants to move but can't. I checked the rear diff and it's fine, nothing out of the ordinary so now that has a new gasket and oil. Any thoughts on what this might be? Or do I need to get it to the transmission shop?

2016Dom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you check the rear brakes? On my 99 Tahoe 2dr the rear brakes locked up on me, i put it in low lock and broke loose but broke the back plate.

Turned out the pads I replaced where different the the ones i had on my 93 blazer. The Blazer shoes had rivet holes but the Tahoe did not, changed the shoes that had the rivet holes and no more problems.

Also check for groves in the back plate made over time where the shoes ride on.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 Tahoe 4x4 with 180K miles on it that I have only had for about 6 months. Today, I put it in gear and started down the driveway and it locked up, like I had thrown it in park while moving. It will go into Drive and Reverse, I can feel it engage, but will not move. I can give it some gas and it feels like the brakes are on, engine lifts, it wants to move but can't. I checked the rear diff and it's fine, nothing out of the ordinary so now that has a new gasket and oil. Any thoughts on what this might be? Or do I need to get it to the transmission shop?
jack up the rear end, unbolt the driveshaft and see if the rear diff is locked up or if the wheels spin.
that will tell you if it is the trans/transfer case or rear diff.
if it is 4wd, then check the front as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcqkslvr

Latest posts